Raising a greenhouse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally started making my greenhouse taller by adding 5 ft sidewall with a 3' roll-up . Originally it was just 7.5' tall with no sidewall .

It has been a lot of fun in the 90° heat. Still a lot of work to do but it's getting closer. With just me and my wife and a couple 8' ladders.and lots of water breaks. And shuffling things around.1/8" hardware cloth to keep the critters out when sides rolled up.
IMG_20220515_154706452_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220518_173528263_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220518_173233566.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Totally interested in picking your brain down the road if that is OK?
Buddy just bought the framework of a greenhouse to raise veggi's in and wants me to go in with him to get it erected and in operation.
Years ago I bought a small one to start seedlings. On a 70' day that temperature inside would go over 100 degrees if it wasn't ventilated. Had no clue it would do that. Fried the first set of seedlings, so found that I could unzip each end and run a thermometer inside during the day.
Buddies framework is about the size of yours. Do you plan on putting in vent fans to move heat and humidity?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Totally interested in picking your brain down the road if that is OK?
Buddy just bought the framework of a greenhouse to raise veggi's in and wants me to go in with him to get it erected and in operation.
Years ago I bought a small one to start seedlings. On a 70' day that temperature inside would go over 100 degrees if it wasn't ventilated. Had no clue it would do that. Fried the first set of seedlings, so found that I could unzip each end and run a thermometer inside during the day.
Buddies framework is about the size of yours. Do you plan on putting in vent fans to move heat and humidity?
Yes it will have 2 intakes at one end and an exhaust fan on the opposite end. intakes are down low and exhaust is up high, both are connected with a sensor to open and close at a set temperature.

the roll up side are for milder days to conserve electricity and power outages. it's a solar oven if you can't let heat out. the taller the better to get heat away from the plants. The exhaust fan will only work with the sides down to pull air through. The vents need sized for the sq footage. He'll have to research that.

The second greenhouse is totally off electric. It gets hot but I'n not putting vents in. Only the tall one is connected to electricity. shade cloth needs to be 40-50 percent shade. any darker and it restricts sunlight too much. any lower and it lets too much sun in and gets hotter inside. get the type that doesn't unravel if torn. I use shade cloth store on the internet, they seem to have to best prices and shipping is cheap compared to greenhouse sellers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom