Recommendations for WiFi Security Cam System with no subscription

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomahunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use Arlo in our retail store as well as at home (have Vivent at home too but takes a subscription). It’s been good and we’ve sent several shoplifters to jail using footage from them. You can speak through them and set off an alarm as well.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Yi Home cameras at my place. I think you can use micro-SD cards in many of the cameras instead of their cloud service that uses a subscription. It's like $125 a year or so I think.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had several different systems over the years and am currently using and happy with Wyze. I currently have 15 cameras on one account across three different locales. I even carry a couple in my travel electronics to set up in my hotel room when I travel. There is no subscription required unless you want to record to the cloud but you can record continuously to a $7 micro SD card that resides in the camera. The only downside is if the thief steals the camera but honestly thieves really couldn't care less about cameras these days. I use their $33 plug-in pan and tilt cameras inside and outside (under covered protection from direct rain) and I have only had one fail, which Wyze replaced free of charge.

Russ IT Guy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

I know some of you are dead set against WiFi enabled security systems, and I get it. No need to rehash all that; what I’d like are recommendations for a WiFi security system with the following requirements and conditions:

1) I’ll use windows overlooking the outdoor areas I want under surveillance, so I can use indoor cams to save money
2) Plug-in for AC power (no batteries that require regular charging or replacement)
3) NO use of Alexa, Google Assistant, or Siri to control the cameras
4) Ability to record incidents to DVR via WiFi and access recordings via phone
5) Distances up to 50 feet
6) As mentioned, no subscription needed at all

My budget will be up to $500-750, and I’d like four cameras. It seems most such systems work best with Alexa, GA, or Siri. After a particularly nasty exchange with Google customer service over their insistence I upload a copy of my DL to use their Nest cam recording ability, I want to avoid such “services” as far as I can. I was looking at Eufy, but they do mention using Alexa or Siri to control the cameras :puke:

Any suggestions?
I would go with Amcrest as they make quality products with great picture quality. They have dozens of different types including WiFi cameras and solar powered.

The added perc with amcrest is you can enable encryption between the cameras and their recorder. Also if you're looking for an off grid smart home I would check out Hubitat and smart home assistant, I'm rocking all the features of a smart home without the cloud and big brother involved 😉

ScottsLife

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
My property is off-grid with marginal cell coverage. I have hidden cameras with cards but have nothing that has the ability to send me images. I've seen trail-cams with solar panels and antennas but not sure if they would work and if so what my cell company would charge me to connect them to my plan.

Russ IT Guy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My property is off-grid with marginal cell coverage. I have hidden cameras with cards but have nothing that has the ability to send me images. I've seen trail-cams with solar panels and antennas but not sure if they would work and if so what my cell company would charge me to connect them to my plan.
You can msg me if you wanna chat a bit more about it, most cell providers offer a hotspot for about 45-65/mth that would work with the right setup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom