reloading advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on your stated use I'd have to second Nikat's recommendation of the turret press. They sort of split the difference between single stage and a progressive. You get some of the speed of the progressive with all the flexibility of a single stage.

Also as state the Dillon square deal won't do rifle calibers.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all depends on How much you are shooting. It would take me forever to load ammo if I didn't have a progressive. I used only a single stage for years when loading accurate rifle ammo for coyotes and prairie dogs but pistol ammo is a different animal and has more stages which adds at least 1/2 again the time to reload. I say go with a dillon. You can't go wrong and you can always sell them and get your money back if you will buy used to start with.

Rayce

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:friday: I use a Hornady AP Eazy-ject.. I have found it very user friendly.. It came with all the Primer tubes and Powder measure. I had to find the plates and dies for the different calibers I wanted to Load.. It is not the most economical way to go, but is very flexable. I have loaded some rifle cartriges, and the stroke seems a little short for the 300 Win mag, but it works. Once your set up you can really get the pistol rounds to flow from the press.... And it is easy to change over to diffrent loads.. If you are looking to be able to load any type of round in the furture, you should atleast look one over..

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my turret press for rifle stuff, but don't buy a single stage to start out on. Find a buddy to show you the ropes and let you load up some rounds on his press then you'll be ready to go. If some of these derelicts can run a progressive you can too! :D

candrpotts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my turret press for rifle stuff, but don't buy a single stage to start out on. Find a buddy to show you the ropes and let you load up some rounds on his press then you'll be ready to go. If some of these derelicts can run a progressive you can too! :D

Hoping to do just that. I know a couple of guys. Might be able to talk them into spending a little time with this old fart.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, it won't take any time for you to figure out how to not blow yourself up. The single stage will get real old real quick if you're loading a lot of handgun stuff. If handgun is a primary reason for the press, you'll quickly have buyer's remorse with the single. If you are mainly concerned with rifle stuff, I'd get a turret and then when you want to crank out some handgun ammo I'd get the hornady Lock and load over the dillon 550 or I'd step up to the dillon 650 (manual indexing sucks :P)

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend a single stage as well as a progressive. I still use mine occasionally for things I can't do on a progressive. I used to think that I couldn't make precision loads with a progressive, but It can be done.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If one is interested in only loading pistol cartridges then the Dillon Square Deal would be a good choice. I opted for the Dillon 550 with it's additional versatility.

Latest posts

Top Bottom