Remington 770. What do you know?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What have you guys heard about these guns? I have heard a few bad things but wasn't sure if there was anything good worth saying about them. I would like to have a 700 or a nice savage but unfortunately cant afford one and would like to have a .308 or .270 rifle for occasional hunting and this seems like it could fit the bill. No heavy shooting would be done with it.

And let the bashing begin.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the Marlin bolts. They look to me like Savage rifles (same jam nut and what appears to be an accutrigger-they are light) and are under $300 at Outdoor America in OKC. Haven't priced them anywhere else. CB

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you dont want my honest opinion, but Im gonna give it. Wait a little longer and put back a little money and get what you want.

I have found, at least for me, if I dont get what I want, I usually regret it and end up spending more than what I wanted (cost of first item, and cost of the item I really wanted, or cost to upgrade first item to second item's specs).

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to handle the 770 yet. I have gave the 710 in 243 a good work out. The 770 is basically an updated version the 710. Accuracy wise it is a Remington what can I say it shot very well right out of the box.
All 3 shot groups were with factory ammo and produced sub MOA groups
Function wise again it's Remington.
Now for the negatives this is my opinion take it or leave it.
I hate it, it's butt ugly it feels like cheap junk. This gun belonged to a friend mine. After playing with it for sometime he asked if I would ever consider buying one. I'm to old school I guess, I really don't like plastic guns.
It took me a long time to consider getting a synthetic stock. My advice save your money buy a 700 you will be much happier.

Pat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one that I picked up a couple of years ago from a friend of whom didn't like it. Throw the scope in the trash and buy a good scope. Mine is deadly at a 1.5" group at 200 yards. It is a little on the heavy side but it was a good purchase, my. $.02

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They actually are pretty good guns.
Remington was looking to make a good entry level gun someone could buy and be ready to hunt.
That's what the 770 is.
Most people who bash them want a 700 at a 770 price.
Not gonna happen.
If you're the type of guy who only shoots your rifle a few times a year it's a good choice.
The scope will need replacing somewhere down the road, but that's not a real big deal either.
Just keep an eye on the classifieds for a bargain.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the Marlin bolts. They look to me like Savage rifles (same jam nut and what appears to be an accutrigger-they are light) and are under $300 at Outdoor America in OKC. Haven't priced them anywhere else. CB

I have one of the Marlin XL7s in .270 win. It's a solid, dependable hunting rifle. It does have the accutrigger syle trigger that is found on Savage rifles.

I have a $100 bass pro scope on it, and while it might not win any matches, I know it will down an animal.

What I've got is a $400 rifle/glass combo that is plenty accurate for deer hunting and I'm not going to cry if it gets scuffed up in the woods.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What have you guys heard about these guns? I have heard a few bad things but wasn't sure if there was anything good worth saying about them. I would like to have a 700 or a nice savage but unfortunately cant afford one and would like to have a .308 or .270 rifle for occasional hunting and this seems like it could fit the bill. No heavy shooting would be done with it.

And let the bashing begin.

If you want a 700 or Savage, then by all means, save up and get one. I'd honestly get a Savage over the Remington if I was going to use it for what you want to use it for (and I own two Remington rifles).

Latest posts

Top Bottom