Restrepo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great documentary. First hand look at the boredom, frustration, love, and fear our guys go through.

As for the ending...many, including folks who've BTDT, think they were dying for nothing while they were there anyway. So pulling out was the right thing to do. You don't throw good money after bad. Resources being what they are, it is arguable that the Korengal was an untenable situation.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw it this weekend. It is a must see. Growing up in the 70s, the military was not portrayed well in the media, but these latest documentaries on the war in Afganistan and Iraq have done well. Amazed at the intelligence of our fighting men. They have my respect.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw it this weekend. It is a must see. Growing up in the 70s, the military was not portrayed well in the media, but these latest documentaries on the war in Afganistan and Iraq have done well. Amazed at the intelligence of our fighting men. They have my respect.

Those dudes have my utmost respect, but I didn't come away with a sense of their intelligence at all. Rather, how they were forced to perform inside utterly stupid parameters.

The solders were (are) bound by rules of conflict that put their lives in great danger, and is very costly to maintain.

For example, when they finally take the ropes off, the airforces collateralize a bunch of non-combatants (via poor intelligence), and turn the entire region against our force. Then they decide to go back out among those same angry afganis and try to smooth things over. Not the role of a combat solder, poor bastards.

Killing farmer's cows, kicking down doors, etc... and then asking them to 'win hearts and minds' as part of the mission. Stupidity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom