Right or Wrong: FFL and OSA members opinions needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right or Wrong?

• Right

Votes: 167 91.8%
  • Wrong

Votes: 15 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wrong.

There is no correlation between what is legal and what is moral. Even if a law court wouldn't uphold the contract due to it not being in writing, an offer was made and accepted. Honor would dictate that you complete the sale, regardless of your personal opinion of the buyer. If you do not wish to sell to flippers, you should say so up front in the ad that you reserve the right to cancel if you think the buyer is going to flip it.

FYI there is no legal requirement not to sell to someone who you know plans on re-selling it. The sale would only be prohibited if you knew that the buyer was buying it for someone else (a straw purchase) or if they were legally prohibited from having the RKBA. Even if the buyer is engaged in the regular business of selling firearms without a license, there is no law against selling to him. He is the only one who is culpable for that crime.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wrong.

There is no correlation between what is legal and what is moral. Even if a law court wouldn't uphold the contract due to it not being in writing, an offer was made and accepted. Honor would dictate that you complete the sale, regardless of your personal opinion of the buyer. If you do not wish to sell to flippers, you should say so up front in the ad that you reserve the right to cancel if you think the buyer is going to flip it.

FYI there is no legal requirement not to sell to someone who you know plans on re-selling it. The sale would only be prohibited if you knew that the buyer was buying it for someone else (a straw purchase) or if they were legally prohibited from having the RKBA. Even if the buyer is engaged in the regular business of selling firearms without a license, there is no law against selling to him. He is the only one who is culpable for that crime.

I find it hard to believe you have never had a bad feeling after saying something and changed your mind.

You have stuck to EVERY deal you ever have made in life through to the end, no exceptions?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wrong.

There's also no correlation between what is legal and what is prudent.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe you have never had a bad feeling after saying something and changed your mind.

You have stuck to EVERY deal you ever have made in life through to the end, no exceptions?

I don't remember claiming that I have.

In fact, if memory serves, I broke off a transaction with a guy years ago after we already had a deal (I want to say it was for performance car parts). The only thing I remember clearly about the situation was the guilty feeling I had afterward, because even with all the rationalizations I doubtlessly came up with, deep down I knew that I was not being a man of my word and that my honor was not intact.

Now, back to you explaining how the fact that I did something wrong in the past makes it OK for other people to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom