Ruger heads up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t remember right off, it was the largest one that would start down the end of the muzzle, mine are the (-) pin gages.

Bobby said he thought when they put the front sight in they got it too hot and deformed it some how.
Dang it!!!! One thing Ive notice with most NM blackhawks is that it seems the earliest of the production have alot better tolerance and finish.

jc944

Marksman
Reaction score
Hey there Paul, glad to see you again. They are close on the weekends, I was in there yesterday afternoon.

Swampratt I hear what your saying about Rugers QC. I’ve had several 45 Colt Blackhawks and the throats are always undersized.

But the last one I bought not only had undersized throats, I couldn’t even get a pin gage past the front sight.

I sent it to Bobby Tyler and he told me this week at least to him he didn’t feel it was safe to shoot, luckily I hadn’t.

So it’s getting another bbl. screwed on along with some other work.
I've got a 45 Colt Blackhawk that I've been wanting to send to Bobby Tyler for some work, but his website has said that they are not accepting new work for some time now. How did you get yours in?

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just stupid luck.

I happened to call the number on the website and he answered, I told him what I had and was wanting, didn’t know the barrel was bad at the time though.

He told me to send it in.

R D Harmon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t remember right off, it was the largest one that would start down the end of the muzzle, mine are the (-) pin gages.

Bobby said he thought when they put the front sight in they got it too hot and deformed it some how.
Question please. I am wanting to get a set of pin gages but I dont have a clue. I have found several on amazon but wondering which brand and size selection. Any help appreciated.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m no expert by any means but what I learned about pin gauges is to get the (-) minus set of gauges. Also, if you are only going to do your bore and cylinders you may not need a full set and I think you can shop around and just buy what you need.

I will probably never use all of them but I bought a set that has, just guessing 125-130 pins, got it off Amazon I think.

R D Harmon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m no expert by any means but what I learned about pin gauges is to get the (-) minus set of gauges. Also, if you are only going to do your bore and cylinders you may not need a full set and I think you can shop around and just buy what you need.

I will probably never use all of them but I bought a set that has, just guessing 125-130 pins, got it off Amazon I think.
Thank you for the suggestion about the minus guages. that was pretty much what I wanted to know.
I have several Ruger , Cimmeron, Pietta, Uberti and others that the throats dont pass the drop test with a jacketed bullet. I have the bore reamers from Brownells and I wanted the pin guages just to satisfy my mind.