ruger p89 or RIA 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wademe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello fellow shooters. Was wanting some advice. Which is a better weapon? RIA 1911 or the ruger p89. I have a RIA 3.5" 1911. It shoots fmj or ball ammo great, but will not shoot protection rounds. I have polished the feed ramp like everyone says to do and that's not the problem. I have a friend that has a nice p89 he would trade me. Is this a fair trade? What are your thoughts on both guns?

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am plus 1 on the idea to try good mags in the RIA.

As long as the friend knows about the feeding problem it might be a fair trade.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have problems with it, I'd trade it. I had a 3" RIA at one point the wouldn't even feed ball reliably. Due to that, I traded it off and will never own another RIA. YMMV

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have shot some p89, they are OK. from everything i have read they run and run. what do you want, personal protection or just a shooter?

maybe it is just me, but 1911s seem problem prone. I have heard good things about the RIA brand.

.45s have a lot of history stopping people with ball ammo.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
maybe it is just me, but 1911s seem problem prone.

No offense, but it's just you. The 1911 is one of, of not THE, most celebrated handgun in American History. There are good ones, there are bad ones but the generalization that the 1911 is problem prone is an incorrect assumption.

wademe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I most generally carry a j frame revolver for ccw. But I would like to be able to carry my RIA with personal protection rounds in it. Without worrying if the second round is going to feed. I am not opposed to making some upgrades to my ria but what kind of money am I looking at spending? If it's gonna be a lot I would rather trade it off or put the money towards a glock or something of that nature.