S&W .455 MKll Hand Ejector Second Model, 1916 Canadian

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked this old service revolver up last weekend to scratch an itch. Now, I'm sure you are wondering why on earth I would want a .455? The answer is because it has been converted to .45 Colt. I have been wanting a Smith model 25 for some time now, but just couldn't justify the price they bring. Those who know me know that I have 3 loves, old revolvers, S&Ws and anything.45 Colt. So when I saw this, I had to have it. Made in early 1916 for the British Commonwealth and sent to Canada, it served through 2 world wars before being sold surplus and converted for the American market. I was a little nervous about accuracy with the original chambering of .455 Webley ( or .455 Eley, .455 Colt, .455 MK l... dang Brits, it's hard enough to understand what they say as it is) going to a .454 bullet. They problem that the model 25s almost always have oversize cylinder throats was also in the back of my mind. When I got it home I checked the throats with one of my bullets and it was snug, so I was very happy. My range trip also made me very happy with some nice groups at 15 yards, even if I do have to aim a little high. I'm not sure what they were thinking with the 70s N frame target stocks and stainless plate, but the Elk stags needed a home anyway.
20240125_174712.jpg
20240124_171249.jpg

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked this old service revolver up last weekend to scratch an itch. Now, I'm sure you are wondering why on earth I would want a .455? The answer is because it has been converted to .45 Colt. I have been wanting a Smith model 25 for some time now, but just couldn't justify the price they bring. Those who know me know that I have 3 loves, old revolvers, S&Ws and anything.45 Colt. So when I saw this, I had to have it. Made in early 1916 for the British Commonwealth and sent to Canada, it served through 2 world wars before being sold surplus and converted for the American market. I was a little nervous about accuracy with the original chambering of .455 Webley ( or .455 Eley, .455 Colt, .455 MK l... dang Brits, it's hard enough to understand what they say as it is) going to a .454 bullet. They problem that the model 25s almost always have oversize cylinder throats was also in the back of my mind. When I got it home I checked the throats with one of my bullets and it was snug, so I was very happy. My range trip also made me very happy with some nice groups at 15 yards, even if I do have to aim a little high. I'm not sure what they were thinking with the 70s N frame target stocks and stainless plate, but the Elk stags needed a home anyway.View attachment 448189View attachment 448190

I picked this old service revolver up last weekend to scratch an itch. Now, I'm sure you are wondering why on earth I would want a .455? The answer is because it has been converted to .45 Colt. I have been wanting a Smith model 25 for some time now, but just couldn't justify the price they bring. Those who know me know that I have 3 loves, old revolvers, S&Ws and anything.45 Colt. So when I saw this, I had to have it. Made in early 1916 for the British Commonwealth and sent to Canada, it served through 2 world wars before being sold surplus and converted for the American market. I was a little nervous about accuracy with the original chambering of .455 Webley ( or .455 Eley, .455 Colt, .455 MK l... dang Brits, it's hard enough to understand what they say as it is) going to a .454 bullet. They problem that the model 25s almost always have oversize cylinder throats was also in the back of my mind. When I got it home I checked the throats with one of my bullets and it was snug, so I was very happy. My range trip also made me very happy with some nice groups at 15 yards, even if I do have to aim a little high. I'm not sure what they were thinking with the 70s N frame target stocks and stainless plate, but the Elk stags needed a home anyway.View attachment 448189View attachment 448190

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I traded for the British 1916 S&W 2nd edition Hand Ejector in .455 Webley earlier last yr. Quite excited when i found it. And it to also takes the Colt .45 cartridge.
Took and fired three rounds through it at the river bank. At thirty yds accuracy was non existent. Thought at first it was maybe i was using a .451 dia. 225g lead RNFP.
Afterwards i had the barrel mic'd. About the four inch space on thr barrel, it had been crushed. Somebody had smashed the barrel in a vice. To look at it you wouldnt see it. Decided against buying an expensive replacment and taking a more economical route.
Ive sent it to a family member who is a decent smithie. He looked at it and suggested that we bob the barrel at the
3 1/4 mark. The paper thin original sight will be replaced with a Bradley mounted shotgun bead. I'll actually be able to see it.
Cost.for the cutting tool and the bead together is under $40.
Been wanting a short barrel .45 revolver for carry. It'll be more manageable than in its original 6 1/2 configuration.
Keep you posted....

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I traded for the British 1916 S&W 2nd edition Hand Ejector in .455 Webley earlier last yr. Quite excited when i found it. And it to also takes the Colt .45 cartridge.
Took and fired three rounds through it at the river bank. At thirty yds accuracy was non existent. Thought at first it was maybe i was using a .451 dia. 225g lead RNFP.
Afterwards i had the barrel mic'd. About the four inch space on thr barrel, it had been crushed. Somebody had smashed the barrel in a vice. To look at it you wouldnt see it. Decided against buying an expensive replacment and taking a more economical route.
Ive sent it to a family member who is a decent smithie. He looked at it and suggested that we bob the barrel at the
3 1/4 mark. The paper thin original sight will be replaced with a Bradley mounted shotgun bead. I'll actually be able to see it.
Cost.for the cutting tool and the bead together is under $40.
Been wanting a short barrel .45 revolver for carry. It'll be more manageable than in its original 6 1/2 configuration.
Keep you posted....
Might as well round butt it and add some finger groove combats. That would be a kick-@$$ snubby!

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might as well round butt it and add some finger groove combats. That would
Might as well round butt it and add some finger groove combats. That would be a kick-@$$ snubby!
Was going to reduce the size of the the grip to K/L size, but was told the metal on it was too thin. I'll ask about a round butt.

Either way im looking forward to its completion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom