S&W Model 64

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked this up from my LGS the other day after buying it from a member of the Kansas forum. Please note that it has the pencil barrel and I have been looking for one of these off and on for a while.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, having just got back from my range session with my newly-acquired Model 64 I ran a solvent-soaked patch through the barrel and all six chambers, and let it work for a while before I scrubbed it out.

First, a brief description of the gun itself: it is a S&W Model 64 and it is at least 42 years old. According to a website dealing with S&W model changes, the 64 was first made in 1970, and then in 1972, the 64-1 was made, the major change being the addition of the heavy barrel. It is a six-shot K-frame with fixed sights and in the case of my gun, a regular-weight , or what is very often referred to as the 'pencil' barrel. It is, in fact, the stainless steel version of the Model 10, or the old Military & Police, and it is called the Military & Police Stainless.

Now, for the AAR. I put 72 rounds through it and after a slight hiccup encountered during the first two cylinderfuls, it went without any problems. The hiccup I mentioned ocurred when I noticed that one of the chambers would not allow the round to enter freely. I know it was the same chamber, because it had a slight scratch on the rear of the cylinder and the round had to be given a slight push, after which it was seated. Upon preparing to shoot the third cylinder full, the cylinder locked up, and would not turn so I broke it open and rotated it by hand, advancing a couple of chambers and closed it. After this, the cylinder rotated freely, and the rest of the session went quite smoothly. I think what must have happened was that a piece of grit or something got on the extractor star and was tying the cylinder up and was subsequently dislodged, allowing free rotation once more. All of my shooting yesterday was DA and was fairly close-range. In addition, most of it was point-shooting.

Accuracy in my hands was very acceptable and the recoil with the WWB rounds that I got from WallyWorld, was mild. All in all I am happy with the gun, as not only is it a sort of curiosity, having just been made for a couple of years, but it shoots quite well, too.

This one is definitely a keeper, as I am into wheelguns anyway.

Like I said earlier, this was one of the models that I had been after off and on for quite a while, and I am very happy to have found it.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cut my teeth on Smith & Wesson revolvers. It don't get much better than a good ol' M&P wheelie. :bowdown:

Back in the day, law and order was obtained with the .38 caliber revolver and the leaded leather sap. I'd like to ditch the ol' polymer pistol with it's bucket of bullets and return to good ol' iron and wood, but sadly in this day and time, it's not possible. 'Cause I know damned good and well that the bad guys aren't gonna ditch theirs. I would be literally handicapping myself if I toted 6 rounds to their 15 or more, so sadly the bottom feeders rule the streets of today.

Very nice gat you have there young man! :thumb::thumb:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love it! I'm a big fan of S&W K-Frames too. So, is your pencil barrel 64 pretty much a stainless Model 10?

Cedar Creek
Not just 'pretty much', that is exactly what it is. The regular weight barrel was just made for a couple of years or so in the early 1970's and then was replaced with the heavy barrel like the gun in my avatar (a Model 65, essentially the same thing as the 64, but in 357). The Model 64 is in fact, like I said earlier, designated as the M&P Stainless.

Now, I just have a few more Grail guns to look for: a S&W fixed sight N-frame in 38 Special, a Colt Metropolitan Mk III, and a Colt New Service in 38 or 357. There will probably be others in the future. Who knows?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice gun. I like those tapered barrels. I have a 64-1 and a 65-4 all polished and shiny. Very cool guns.
You got me curious, so I checked and the gun in my avatar is a 65-4 as well. After about 5,000+ rounds through it plus a special action job from a gunsmith, my model 65 has just about the smoothest DA trigger-pull I have ever experienced.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cut my teeth on Smith & Wesson revolvers. It don't get much better than a good ol' M&P wheelie. :bowdown:

Back in the day, law and order was obtained with the .38 caliber revolver and the leaded leather sap. I'd like to ditch the ol' polymer pistol with it's bucket of bullets and return to good ol' iron and wood, but sadly in this day and time, it's not possible. 'Cause I know damned good and well that the bad guys aren't gonna ditch theirs. I would be literally handicapping myself if I toted 6 rounds to their 15 or more, so sadly the bottom feeders rule the streets of today.

I actually prefer to carry a wheelgun and it is almost always a S&W K- or L-frame. Sometimes, if I know that I'm going to have to disarm, like a doctor's visit, I'll carry my Model 30-1, a J-frame in 32 S&W Long. Just stick it in my pants pocket for the trip up, and when I get to the office, I put it my glove compartment, lock the doors on my truck and then go in. It is somewhat under-powered, I know, but I have six reliable shots, and I figure that even a dinky little 32 slug in their precious carcass is going to ruin a mugger's day.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Me too.... S & W Model 15 loaded out of belt loops, not even speedloaders. DON't JUDGE ME!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom