Salt Plains Wilderness Area deer hunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Drove through this morning and all the marshes are dry still....Wilson's pond bottom had been brushhogged, and there was very little water on the south side of highway 11 like normal. Thought we'd had enough rain to fill some of that up, guess not. Deer and sand plums abound on the drive through road in the refuge.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful using a climber on large cotttonwood trees. I was climbing up one a few years ago that was large enough at bottom that my cables were extended to the widest point. I climbed high enough to have to shorten the cable lengths. I continued up a little more. The bark on a large cottonwood is very rough (many large crevices and high points). At one point my foot platform was locked in and I went to raise seat portion. The foot platform slipped about a foot before catching and grabbing again. I decided that was high enough and finished locking in and adjusted safety harness rope.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful using a climber on large cotttonwood trees. I was climbing up one a few years ago that was large enough at bottom that my cables were extended to the widest point. I climbed high enough to have to shorten the cable lengths. I continued up a little more. The bark on a large cottonwood is very rough (many large crevices and high points). At one point my foot platform was locked in and I went to raise seat portion. The foot platform slipped about a foot before catching and grabbing again. I decided that was high enough and finished locking in and adjusted safety harness rope.

I made the mistake of trying to adjust my climber while up the tree once, cost me a good amount of skin off my face and a new pair of underwear. Learned my lesson...

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made the mistake of trying to adjust my climber while up the tree once, cost me a good amount of skin off my face and a new pair of underwear. Learned my lesson...

The slide down the tree would have happened regardless. Back when I was younger and in better shape, adjusting my climber was no problem at all. I couldn't do it now, I am sure.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been through the nature trail on the south side of hwy 11 a few times. Is that where the wilderness area hunt takes place?

If so, there are some MONSTER BUCKS in there!!! My son has a picture of one on his computer that would go over 170 easy, and we saw several in the 140-150 range that looked relatively young. I've never hunted that exact area, but from years of hunting on the river north of 11, a 140-150 should be really easy to get.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retrieverman,
I would like to see that picture of the 170 class buck?
Anybody else have any pictures of Salt Plains bucks?

My son took the picture and has it on his computer, but here is a picture of a 160" and 178" that I killed north of 11 on the river.
Picture648-1.jpg022.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom