Savage Axis ll precision in 308 or 30-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple .308 bolt rifles and a couple 30-06 bolt rifles.
I hand load and the 30-06 is just a wee bit less accurate than the .308.
If course my 308 is a heavy barrel savage and the 30-06 is a Mossberg 100ATR
Yes recoil on the 30-06 is much greater.

But upper accuracy node in the 30-06 is in fact faster than the upper node in the .308
I used the same bullet the 155 gr. Sierra Palma and i did not adhere to book max loads.
I listened to my rifle and what it wanted.
3176 fps for the 30-06 and I was in the 2980 fps for the .308 at that time.

Barrel length means nothing as I have had 22" barrels that were the same speed Or within 10 FPS as an 18" barrel in .308
Different manufactures of barrels one a Ruger and the other a Savage.

I Enjoy shooting the .308 a lot more. All my guns have the factory barrels on them.
All my guns get hand loaded ammo.
I have had a few friends with 30-06 that could not find ammo that would shoot good groups.
Most ammo was grouping in the 4"-8" range at 200 yards. Just horrible.
With handloads that stayed under 2" at 200.

If you are shooting store/surplus ammo I would go with .308
I would also choose .308 because it uses less money to make the loads and less recoil is a plus.

Something else I like is a short barrel. easier to find the accuracy node and that node is wider and changes less when the weather changes.
Under 800 yards a long barrel does not matter is what i was told for a few years as i was chasing my tail with a 24" heavy barrel Savage .308.

I was told to cut it to 18" and it would shoot tighter groups.
I finally cut it to 20.5" and sure enough it tightened up a lot.
I now shoot an 18" in .308 and it shoots even tighter.

I hunt and I do not competition shoot and accuracy needs to be there in different temps for sure.
And I have no need to shoot an animal past a few hundred yards.

Many here have platforms and places to kill animals cleanly at long range but that is another topic.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed that is an AR shaped platform.
You will need to get the scope up high to get proper eye position.
I have found when shooting long distance with the AR platform and a high above barrel scope the gun is much harder to keep steady.

Could be the angle of the stock or could be the wobbling side to side will be exaggerated when the scope is above the center line of the barrel more than a lower mounted scope.

If you are shooting off a bench it is not as much of an issue as if you are standing and shooting or lets say hunting.

I have thought of getting a custom barrel for a bolt rifle in 30-06 a few times and see if it can be a really accurate piece with great velocity.
I would not want an AR shaped platform though.. may just be me though.

It is cool looking i will give it that.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you‘re counting oz for maybe a mountain rifle or shooting where speed and maintaining cheek weld/shooting position is a factor when running a bolt I could see using a short action but for the average hunter it’s probably a moot point.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whichever one you find a better deal on.

The guys above are talking match ammo with custom guns and you're talking surplus ammo in a factory gun. I'm guessing both would be pretty similar accuracy wise using that metric.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prior to 1985 very few shot 308 and tons of people shot '06.
Then in the mid to late 80's 30-06 started drying up and surplus 308 started being imported by the boatload. Hence the shift to 308.

Recoil isn't that big of a factor.
I've got a 338 win mag and a 458 win mag. Several 308's and '06 semi's
Just wanting a bolt gun I don't have to reload for that doesn't look like your everyday deer rifle.
My Ruger ranchers in 300 BO and 7.62x39 are fine for 300-400 yards but I want to stretch out farther.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prior to 1985 very few shot 308 and tons of people shot '06.
Then in the mid to late 80's 30-06 started drying up and surplus 308 started being imported by the boatload. Hence the shift to 308.

Recoil isn't that big of a factor.
I've got a 338 win mag and a 458 win mag. Several 308's and '06 semi's
Just wanting a bolt gun I don't have to reload for that doesn't look like your everyday deer rifle.
My Ruger ranchers in 300 BO and 7.62x39 are fine for 300-400 yards but I want to stretch out farther.
What does “stretch out farther” mean as far as yards?

Latest posts

Top Bottom