Self Defense Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason kitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would just buy the new barrel. that way if you wanted to use your gun for hunting you can just switch barrels.

Chokes. do not use wit slugs the can tear up your barrels and possible you in the process.

if you wanting a tighter pattern. Use Federal tactical buckshot. we use that in law eforcement and holds a tight pattern. I have shot it out of 14 inch barrel at 25 yards and all pellets were on target. most other buckshot rounds do not hold that tight.

Long Barrel 44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree with poopgiggle. You don't want a choke for defense shotgun. If it were me, I would take your 870 put a shorter barrel and a tube extention on it so it would hold more shells and you will love the performance of the it.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wrong. Completely, totally wrong.

Right
There are chokes made for firing slugs as a general rule slugs work best from the more open choke.
Although I wouldn't recommend putting a slug through and extra full or Turkey choke.
Firing a slug through a full choke will not burst the barrel or blowup a gun that is in good safe condition. However accuracy will suffer as the choke gets tighter, and recoil from heavy slug loads in a full choke barrel is nasty.

Pat

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buckshot and slugs often shoot better from IC or Modified chokes. You will not damage the choke tube by shooting slugs or buckshot.

Do you have a source? All I have is a training video, and these guys seemed like they were trying to get you to buy their Vang Comp system or whatever so maybe they were stretching the truth a little with the choke tube thing.

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with others in just buying another barrel but if you want one that you dont have to change out barrels all the time then I would look to buy a new Mossberg from Wal-Mart or if you have a Big 5 in your area. I think they come with a hunting barrel and an 18.5" barrel.

Check out Brownells I was looking at doing a Shotgun build on a Mossberg 500 reciever and found good prices on their barrels. I ended up finding it was cheaper to just buy the Mossberg then to build.

Try your local pawn shops they get in used hunting guns and this time of the year you can pick them up at a good deal.

Also look over at Budsgunshop.com they have some good deals. I bought my 500 from them.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A source? No, Im just guessing.

I see. I had been wondering if what the video said was true for reasons mentioned above.

Honestly, how the round patterns out of a gun isn't a huge concern for home defense, as opposed to military or police use, because you're probably not going to be shooting at more than 7 yards anyway. I'm more worried about reliability and not having buckshot break your gun, so I'm looking for an authoritative answer about choke tubes and buckshot, and IC or Modified chokes and buckshot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom