Selling gun to out of state owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere or it fits better elsewhere.

I'm looking for a guide or at least ideas on how to handle a sale to a person in OH. From what I see I can either ship directly to an FFL in buyers state or have a local FFL do it. But, how do folks handle the payment? Is there some type of escrow? What I want to avoid is a buyer that never shows up or declines to purchase once I've gone to the trouble of shipping it. Thoughts? After writing this I'm leaning toward not doing it at all.

Thanks!

Headline, should be buyer, not owner.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^Yep, what he said. Get the money first then ship.

I've never shipped one out of state except for repairs, but any that I've purchased went to a local FFL after the seller received the funds.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ what they said.

Ive bought and sold over state lines. Money first, always! I choose people with established trading record only. I've does deals through Smith and wesson forum and gunbroker. I always check out feedback from past transactions.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to add to your nervousness, but there is a know scam going where they send you a very official looking embossed company check for multiple of what you asked, and they ask you to send the excess on to another address. Yep, the check turns out to be phony and you're stuck for the transferred funds out of your account.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll give it a whirl. I'd be more nervous on the buyer side sending a chunk of money with gun sight unseen, but if he's willing to do that what the hey.. Gun is virtually like new so shouldn't be any grading type disagreements. Thanks again.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Advise buyer he can inspect at ffl before filling out 4473, Once he fills it out any remorse is his problem.
Never do a gun sale using Paypal. The scammers will claim they want their money back, which they will get and you will be banned from Paypal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom