Selling Guns Private Party - Tips for A Beginner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be my first foray into trying to sell some of my collection, and wondering what is you guys personal preferance on selling private party?

Do you just fill out a buyer to buyer bill of sale?

Or do you meet at a gunshop and transfer the firearm over with a background check?

How do you avoid accidentally selling to a felon if you forgo meeting at a gunshop and using their service to transfer a firearm?

Any tips would be much appreciate to this first timer here!
Your wastin' your breath ATF

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
@ReactiveXR. We have a feedback system. Click on a users avatar once and maybe twice. It will pull up their profile as well as their feedback rating. Here’s yours
94B0641C-23F4-43E2-9980-FFB2AA92A28F.png
540C0E13-AD56-40CB-96C7-86367FE39C7C.png

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not talking sides. Buy my mother and father in law moved to Oklahoma from California. He had a 22 I wanted. So I was going to buy it. He didn’t know that we could just trade cash for gun. I was in the military at the time. I had to show him the laws and he called to verify. Some people just do not know how to conduct business or know the laws. When it come to firearms know the laws and know your audience and always somewhere public.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would meet at a police station parking lot. With prior notification to the police.

Don't meet at places that have multiple entrances/exits. We had a fellow here meet at a local stop n rob. The buyer took the gun to look at and then ran inside then out the other door into a waiting car.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Follow the law : Private sales are between Okla. residents only.
Out of state buyers must go thru an FFL dealer for long guns.
Handguns must be purchased from a dealer in their state so you will have to have it shipped.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had numerous people (4-5) who have seen an ad elsewhere here in OKlahoma who ARE NOT OKlahoma residents wanting to buy a pistol. They have been honest and said they do not have an OK drivers license, and we go no further after me telling them they need to be an OKlahoma resident.
Good on you, you can never be too sure if something is an ATF sting operation. They have arrested people at gun shows for selling to an undercover agent posing as an out of state resident.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would meet at a police station parking lot. With prior notification to the police.

Don't meet at places that have multiple entrances/exits. We had a fellow here meet at a local stop n rob. The buyer took the gun to look at and then ran inside then out the other door into a waiting car.
Yup, I remember that. The buyer was a yute.

Latest posts

Top Bottom