Shooting rampage at DC Navy Yard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insider attacks are the hardest to prevent. He was a USN reservist and an employee at the Yard, so he had legit access.

The point was not prevention, but quick resolution. Why in the hell are our US military installations gun free zones? All military personnel, enlisted or officers, should be allowed, if not required, to carry on base. Defense is their main priority for pete's sake.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The point was not prevention, but quick resolution. Why in the hell are our US military installations gun free zones? All military personnel, enlisted or officers, should be allowed, if not required, to carry on base. Defense is their main priority for pete's sake.

I've always thought it strange myself. The people with the most weapons (military) are not allowed to have weapons.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always thought it strange myself. The people with the most weapons (military) are not allowed to have weapons.
I won't argue with that, but, as I understand it, most of the people on base are either civilians or non-combat personnel (i.e, people who wouldn't normally be carrying/using firearms). From what I've gathered from the news reports I've heard, the building where he went on his rampage was primarily staffed by civilians (IT support, etc).

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Gun free zones on a military base are like God free zones in church. they serve no purpose but to undermine the original intent of the location.

A military facility should be the LAST place on earth where this could happen and yet it's happened twice in recent history.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't argue with that, but, as I understand it, most of the people on base are either civilians or non-combat personnel (i.e, people who wouldn't normally be carrying/using firearms). From what I've gathered from the news reports I've heard, the building where he went on his rampage was primarily staffed by civilians (IT support, etc).

So non-combat enlisted men and officers have no firearms training? It should be required that they maintain familiarity with the most basic arms- sidearm and a rifle. Even the property clerk in a police station carries a sidearm. When our military has to rely on city police for their protection, I am worried.

Latest posts

Top Bottom