Shot big old buck in velvet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot a pretty decent buck today in full velvet. Anybody else seeing them still in velvet? Seemed a little odd, have shot several during smoke pole season and they all had already lost all velvet

I'd like to preserve but it's been about 8 hrs since I shot. It was pretty warm out in Roger Mills county and not sure if it that might affect it.

I've never seen a deer run as far as this old boy after being lung shot. He ran about 200 yards and piled up in some thick stuff. I had a heck of a time finding him. He must be pretty old due to his teeth being worn, but it didn't seem to bother him cause he was really fat.

corbinlee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at Terrys Taxidermy just a few hours ago and a guy had dropped one off in velvet, it was a really big, i will get the pic off my phone and post it asap.

i172.photobucket.com_albums_w26_corbinlee_IMG_1883.jpg

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics or it didnt happen :)

Usually that means the buck is pretty old. But typically they don't stay full velvet but just don't scrap it all off. One of the girls that hunts with us killed one last year in rifle that still had some velvet left.
Congrats on the cool kill though.

ChaseH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have pics of a buck a little over a month ago that looked like he was only about half way done growing his antlers this year. Looked like he was still in velvet also. This was the only time I ever seen this buck. Sure wish he would come back around though.

i169.photobucket.com_albums_u206_79289chase_Shooting_20and_20Hunting_1_1.jpg

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot one back in 2003, that was still in fluffy velvet. Shot him on Oct. 3, 2003. He showed no signs of even beginning to scrape. The other bucks with him had already gone to bare horns.
He was a younger deer maybe estimated about 3.
The explanations I received were that there was something wrong with the genetics. Maybe he got his stuff caught on a fence, maybe he was a queer deer, I don't know. But I have a typical 12 point on my wall with the velvet perfectly preserved.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot one back in 2003, that was still in fluffy velvet. Shot him on Oct. 3, 2003. He showed no signs of even beginning to scrape. The other bucks with him had already gone to bare horns.
He was a younger deer maybe estimated about 3.
The explanations I received were that there was something wrong with the genetics. Maybe he got his stuff caught on a fence, maybe he was a queer deer, I don't know. But I have a typical 12 point on my wall with the velvet perfectly preserved.

Now that you mention it seemed like he had a nut that hadn't dropped I noticed when I was cleaning him...didn't think to check out his package enough to notice if he had another dangling. LoL! Probably a good thing he might have been gay cause his rack wasn't the prettiest. 4 points left and 2 right. Had lots of mass tho.

Wish I could figure out pics. I can skin a buck and run a trotline but couldn't survive on posting pics. Haha.

h4everything

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Terrys Taxidermy just a few hours ago and a guy had dropped one off in velvet, it was a really big, i will get the pic off my phone and post it asap.

i172.photobucket.com_albums_w26_corbinlee_IMG_1883.jpg

Good friend of mine shoot that big freak. He somehow managed to castrate himself while jumping a fence, or something. Terry told him it was the biggest "steer" deer he has ever seen. I would call it a buck of a lifetime for sure.

C

carman

I am the guy that shot the deer in velvet pictured above. When I went to field dress him, he had no testicles at all. Just guessing that he castrated himself on a fence back in August sometime while still in velvet, which shut down the growth and preserved the velvet. To Rooster1971....if you want to preserve the rack in velvet, you need to get it to a taxidermist fast. They can inject the antler with a preservative that will keep it from coming off, but you need to do it asap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom