Should I get into archery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Specifically crossbows? I hunt public land, and rifle season on public land is too much like summer vacation 2010 in Afghanistan. So I only get to go out a handful of days during the rifle seasons. I have torn both rotator cuffs twice, and last I tried I couldn’t pull back my 40lb bow fishing compound without feeling like I was about to tear something again. I don’t even think I could get my shoulders to have the range of motion necessary for that again.

So I thought: why not crossbows? Heck, I can think of about 10 tree/tripod stands on public land right now that are just left out year around.

Thoughts? What should I look for in a crossbow? Things to consider?

I’m considering a Centerpoint CP400. Snag another pack of arrows, a crossbow target, and a pack of expanding broadheads and call it good. Worth it? Any other options for $700 or less?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Specifically crossbows? I hunt public land, and rifle season on public land is too much like summer vacation 2010 in Afghanistan. So I only get to go out a handful of days during the rifle seasons. I have torn both rotator cuffs twice, and last I tried I couldn’t pull back my 40lb bow fishing compound without feeling like I was about to tear something again. I don’t even think I could get my shoulders to have the range of motion necessary for that again.

So I thought: why not crossbows? Heck, I can think of about 10 tree/tripod stands on public land right now that are just left out year around.

Thoughts? What should I look for in a crossbow? Things to consider?

I’m considering a Centerpoint CP400. Snag another pack of arrows, a crossbow target, and a pack of expanding broadheads and call it good. Worth it? Any other options for $700 or less?
I had a crossbow I won at the fair years ago and enjoyed shooting it. Was one of those Wham-O Power Masters that were later recalled. Only hunting I did with it was killing beaver in my father;s pond,

Not sure I could cock a real hunting crossbow with my rib issues but would not mind trying. I am sure I could do that easier than drawing a recurve.

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you should. It will allow you to increase the number of days in the field. Some crossbows have a crank that allows one to "cock" it with the ease of reeling in a fish. I don't know if any (crank models) are under $700 new but I am sure one could be found used for your budget.

I am not a fan of expandable broad heads and I see first hand a couple dozen reasons every year.

Most crossbows have a safety to prevent dry firing. Most have shield/guard to keep the shooter from raising thumb up in the pathway of the string while shooting. These are important.

Many of the crank models allow a hunter to "unload" without shooting. You can shoot a bolt into the ground to unload but you risk damaging a bolt if you hit something hard or burying fletching into the ground.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes you should; next year I'm likely going to get a crossbow, also.

The main draw of archery for me is the 01 October to 15 January hunting season, vs 16 days for the regular gun season. I take two weeks of vacation in early October and over rifle season (plus school spring break and summer). After I retire in a couple of years, being able to harvest deer I fed all year round whenever I want in a 3.5 month period will be better than missing Thanksgiving with the family (left in AZ).

All my kin shoot Ravin, so I'll probably go the "buy once, cry once" route. One can cock or de-cock them, with or without electrical assistance.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to only hunt OK muzzleloader season. I tore my right bicep about 15 years ago and never got it fixed so pulling a vertical bow is painful. When crossbows were legalized in TX and OK, I bought a used Excalibur, and it’s been the best hunting decision I’ve ever made. I’ve “upgraded” crossbows a few times, and it’s now what I do most of my hunting with.
With the length of season, getting into archery in some form is a no brainer in Oklahoma.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely you should. I'd go that route but currently draw my compound bow with no pain and that's part of the challenge for me - drawing my bow without being caught moving then making the shot. I also hunt primarily out of ladder stands so in the open. Less movement would be better.

Keep in mind they aren't arrows anymore, they're bolts. Gonna get the same flack as calling a magazine a clip for a pistol.

As for broadheads, I'm a fixed blade guy. 100 gr Magnus Stinger 2 blade. I like being able to sharpen the blades. I do think the expandables have come a long way and the velocity of the crossbow makes them perform better than from a recurve or compound. If you go that route, I've heard good things about Rage. I think you'll have to get some practice heads as I'm not sure how well a mechanical would come out of a broadhead target.

Latest posts

Top Bottom