Sig vs Ruger gas piston AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BePrepared

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to shoot both of these rifles? I like the idea of the gas piston system, but am having a hard time deciding between the two. Pros or Cons for either or both? Thanks!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're both good, but I'd probably lean towards the Ruger. Pistons are overrated unless you are doing full auto. DI works just fine and gives you tons more options.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't speak on the sig, but I can tell you the SR556 is a pleasure to shoot. I took it in trade, and ended up selling the POF to buy an additional SR series.
The piston systems are nice, but not the end all/be all. I was in the same boat, and as much I love my SR's, I take the DI guns out way more often.
Just because they run cleaner, it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't need cleaned as often either. Every gun needs TLC to operate maximum efficiency.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I not ever own a piston gun. I have a good friend that had the Ruger and I got to shoot that one. It was OK, but I just was not sold on it. He has bought the Sig, and liked it a lot and sold the Ruger. He said that he liked it so much he bought the .308 Sig as well.

Over the last year I became a big fan of the Knight's SR-15. I email them if they was going to make a piston gun and I was told that they are not going to make a piston SR. They said to many cons to the pros.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
running a piston with a Suppressor is nice, but everything is relative to the user.

Sig vs Ruger - go with what fits the best and works in your mind. nothing else really matters per se.

Piston - LMT, PWS, LWRC, POF is hit or miss. Budget belter is the Ruger (or was anyways) and works if its more of a 'i got a piston AR too'.

Beyond that staying with DI's help to maintain a common parts store.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
running a piston with a Suppressor is nice, but everything is relative to the user.

Sig vs Ruger - go with what fits the best and works in your mind. nothing else really matters per se.

Piston - LMT, PWS, LWRC, POF is hit or miss. Budget belter is the Ruger (or was anyways) and works if its more of a 'i got a piston AR too'.

Beyond that staying with DI's help to maintain a common parts store.

I had a POF... That thing had more gremlins in it than a wet gizmo. Sent it back four times, each time it came back with a new problem. Float rail touched the barrel, piston system issues the second time it came back, feed ramps chewing up the projectiles third, and a fractured buffer tube when I opened the box the last time. Finally traded it to my smith for a Wilson 1911 he had laying around.

Swapwap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest a PWS, it's a long stroke vs a short like in POW. I have two of them and love them. Very clean shooting weapon. There are a few instructors who have used them for multiple training and I have heard of over 10,000 rounds down the pipe with no failures without cleaning it, not that I would recommend that but this guy was trying to abuse it to see how it would take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Twofor - when did you have your POF. Been tracking their progress with issues/CS.........had hoped that they turned a corner a bit ago with issues and marginal CS. If it was more recent, that is too bad. You certainly got the Lemon of that batch.

PWS - they can go well beyond 15k and keep shooting well, as stated above. PWS usually has a few of those samples at SHOT, or behind the scenes. Good people and hopefully will not have the melt down that a lot of companies do under massive expansion and contractual obligations.

I will say that LMT is having their share as well. I can vouch for a 6 round bolt failure (sixth round on a BNIB BCG Enhanced FA.....), granted they turned it 2 weeks, but still................and no longer run LMT products

Latest posts

Top Bottom