simple and effective fire kits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
never liked charcloth. Used it many times but I find it to be way to finicky for me to use consistently. I have used it successfully but not on a basis that I would carry it as fire source in the woods or in a survival situation unless it was the last means available.

mythreal

Marksman
Reaction score
Just like the lint mentioned, the important thing with char cloth is to make it out of 100% cotton. I use pieces of worn out 100% cotton T-shirts to make my char cloth out of.

CastleB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to try this for sure!
thanks,

Ron

I have fallen in love with paraffin impregnated Jute twine. I made about 500 feet of the stuff years ago and have been using it ever since.

Its waterproof, it takes to a spark really well if its fluffed and with burn long enough to start any thing burning.

I have taken to using about 10 feet and a small piece of fatwood and wrapping them together These two things coupled with whatever igniting source you want and you can have one hell of a fire going on a very short amount of time.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use cotton balls and roll them around in vasoline then i store them in a old pill bottle, I just pull one from my pill bottle and it lites easily with a spark from my magnesium fire stick, it works in any condition and each one will burn about a minute

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 7yr old didn't believe I could start a fire at deer camp without matches... I dug out my trusty flint rod and after several attempts I got it lit.. Hadn't tried since my Boy Scout days 20+ years ago. Just goes to show you gotta practice, if I had really needed a fire it took way to long to do me any good!!!

Fog

Latest posts

Top Bottom