Slugging a barrel to determine the bore size.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only commercial guns are marked on the barrel. Most military surplus guns are not. If someone hands you an old mauser what cartridge does it use??? 7x57,8x57 7.62,7.63,7.65.7.5 or a dozen others Just cause its a mauser don't make it an 8mm. Mauser made their guns for dozens of countries in dozens of cartridges and 98% of them are not marked. Then these guns have been modified over the years by various countries and hobby gunmith/shooters. The only way to know for sure is to do a chamber-cast and slug the bore.
Some surplus guns can vary greatly due to who/how/where they were made.as much as .003 variance from gun to gun is often seen on guns like ak's, sks ,smle's. Thats why one guy tells you his surplus gun shoots so good and the next guy says his won't hit the side of a barn.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question, but when and why would you slug the barrel? The barrel should be marked with the caliber already?
another popular reason is that some guys are trying to get top accuracy out of their old milsurp guns by shooting cast lead bullets. they need to know what size to size the bullet for maximum contact with the lands and grooves of the barrel so they don't get any gas blowby and loss of velocity.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
another popular reason is that some guys are trying to get top accuracy out of their old milsurp guns by shooting cast lead bullets. they need to know what size to size the bullet for maximum contact with the lands and grooves of the barrel so they don't get any gas blowby and loss of velocity.
Many of us cast bullet shooters like to use bullets sized atleast .001 over sized to help prevent leading. In my 30 cal 30-40 krag I shoot .310 to .312 bullets and in my other 30 cals I use .309 bullets.
You need to know the exact bore diameter of your barrel to do this.

Michael

Latest posts

Top Bottom