Small Property Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all -

I recently purchased and moved onto some property in a rural area outside of Tulsa. I have 2.5 acres that backs up to a few hundred acres of woods that I am allowed to hunt on, although not exclusively. My goal is it use the land behind me to my advantage and hopefully draw some deer out of it in addition to hunting the acreage on foot. No time to plant a food plot obviously, and I'm not sure I ever will as we have other plans for the property.

I have some decent trees that I plan on putting my stand on. My first thought is to lay some acorn rage or c'mere dere down in front of a trail cam and see if there's anything in the area. Thinking this is wiser than immediately investing in a feeder. Plus, I'm not made of money. Can anyone offer some advice on how to draw deer into the property? If they are there, will the stuff I lay down be enough to draw them? Thanks in advance!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure what your water situation is there, but if the deer are traveling a great distance for water, starting out with a stock tank close to the back fence may be the way to go and water is cheap. Also, natural browse is at a minimum right now due to drought condidtions, they'll probably eat anything you put down.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bury a kiddie pool and fill it with water, won't be an eyesore that way. Otherwise, just like Okie said, anything you put out, they will eat....except bacon, save that for yourself.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I actually forgot to mention that there is a Creek that flows through that property about 200 yards away from my property. It forms a natural draw down the slope off the back of my acreage. This is what inspired the idea that I might be able to draw them in in the first place. Going to cut some clearings this weekend and put some stuff out. I'll keep you posted if anything pops up. If anyone else has ideas, please feel free to share them!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you actually trying to draw them onto the 2.5 acres, or just within gun range of that? Either way, need something to lure them in. Myself, I don't buy anything that they have at Bass Pro, WalMart, or Cabelas that comes in a camo bag, or has an enticing name... i.e. c'mere deer, acorn rage, deer cane, etc. Go down to co-op and get you some sweet feed, corn, creep feed, cotton seed hulls, whatever. Get it in a man size 50lb bag, and not a 5lb city slicker sack. Feed is feed is feed. That deer doesn't care if it is deercane that costs $40 for 50lbs or if it is sweet feed that is $9/50 lbs. I'm sure there will be some differing opinions on that, just don't get caught up on the cool pictures of big deer on the sack. Brown 50 lb sack of real feed will pull in as much as the foo-foo stuff.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roosta is dead on again, as usual. I currently have a 10 gallon watering trough next to my feed bunk. The deer eat and get a drink and bed down for the rest of the afternoon. You can do the same for your deer. If you want to learn about planting food plots go to my thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom