Smart Meters, Yay!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is where you need to step off of the high pedestal you place yourself on and come back down to the real world. You do realize that to build a new power plant will run a minimum of $1 billion and take 5-7 years to build which wont do one thing for immediate demands. We are the largest electric utility company in the state and have no intentions of "buying" electricity from other companies. That would not be in our companies best interest or in our customers interest.

We do demand side management on a daily basis, "telling" high demand customer if they are using too much electricity and giving them the option to reduce load demand or else they pay a tariff if they continue to use at their current demand.

This has always been done on commercial customers, but we will see it soon roll over to residential is my guess for the same reason. Why should I be penalized because you want to be a energy hog and use 40,000kwh per year running every light, keeping the AC set at 68° and running a business in your home on a residential rate when you should be paying the higher business rate. Oh yeah residential customers are billed .$084 for the first 1400kwh during summer and $.096 after that, Commercial customers are billed at $.105 for everything they use.

So once again if you want to be a high demand user, that is fine. We reserve the right to know what you use, when you use, how much load you require at 1am on a Friday or 12pm on a Monday and we reserve the right to charge you more for that electricity if you cant curtail your usage and be more in line with the norm of customers we deal with each day.

What I was trying to say, but you do a much better job of it!

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spoken like a TRUE OG&E MANAGER

Sorry I am not even remotely a manager with OGE, I am low on the totem pole. Heck the mail room clerk is higher up than I am. What I am is not blind and oblivious to the obvious and have been in management over the years and also know that my company not only has to meet the demands of it customers, work with in the guidelines that the State of OK (OCC) set forth but also while staying with in the Federal (NERC and FERC) compliances as well. We have to do all of this daily and also make a return on investments for our investors.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good Lord! WTF?
The tin hats are flying around me like a dust storm on the farm.
TJay74, you have more patience than I do.

Just for anybody's info, OGE was in the top of the JD Powers awards for best customer service in the entire country this year. Votes came from people in the areas the company serves.

If you want to *****, its your right to do so. Its also my right to say bullcrap!
I just got in from a 15 hour day on a call-out at a power plant to keep the lights on for Y'all.
I'm just a low level tech that feels like I have a job that is really meaningful, and contributes to not only me, but the people around me. People around me = the rest of you.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there was a recent article about how one of the biggest drains in a household are cable boxes that aren't turned off. When asked why the boxes used so much energy, someone was quoted as saying something like "well, no one ever asked us to make them use less."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there was a recent article about how one of the biggest drains in a household are cable boxes that aren't turned off. When asked why the boxes used so much energy, someone was quoted as saying something like "well, no one ever asked us to make them use less."

One of the things one can do in the home is to unplug some of the items that stay powered up when your not home.
Coffee pots with clocks, etc.
It won't amount much to your personal bill but will make a difference in your provider that in the long run will prolong building new generating facilities that WILL cost the consumer in higher rates.

Ok here we are to the bottom line. The Oklahoma Corporation Commission said that OGE could not build another high efficiency power plant, and forced us to buy a merchant plant that had been almost mothballed.
the plant does not have 100% backup in case of emergencies, like a base power plant does, and uses Nat Gas which results in higher generating costs, that you pay for. So, if it has to trip off line to an emergency, and the load is too high on a hot day, the consumer has to pick up the bill to buy electric from the grid by other merchant plants at three or four times what we can generate it for.

So go ahead and slam OGE, the company that had kept consumer electric bills among the lowest in the country, with the line crews that have won awards for being the best in the business, and power plants that have the highest reliability in the country.
Put your stupid tin hats on and get the crap out of my face! Go anywhere else in the country and see what you get!

Yeah I'm tired, and cranky now. Long days in this heat reading this crap make me this way.:smack::smack::smack:

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the things one can do in the home is to unplug some of the items that stay powered up when your not home.
Coffee pots with clocks, etc.
It won't amount much to your personal bill but will make a difference in your provider that in the long run will prolong building new generating facilities that WILL cost the consumer in higher rates.

Ok here we are to the bottom line. The Oklahoma Corporation Commission said that OGE could not build another high efficiency power plant, and forced us to buy a merchant plant that had been almost mothballed.
the plant does not have 100% backup in case of emergencies, like a base power plant does, and uses Nat Gas which results in higher generating costs, that you pay for. So, if it has to trip off line to an emergency, and the load is too high on a hot day, the consumer has to pick up the bill to buy electric from the grid by other merchant plants at three or four times what we can generate it for.

So go ahead and slam OGE, the company that had kept consumer electric bills among the lowest in the country, with the line crews that have won awards for being the best in the business, and power plants that have the highest reliability in the country.
Put your stupid tin hats on and get the crap out of my face! Go anywhere else in the country and see what you get!

Yeah I'm tired, and cranky now. Long days in this heat reading this crap make me this way.:smack::smack::smack:

Yeah, I know, the best days are behind us and we can't afford to built new plants like they could in the past and we have to get used to doing with less etc. etc.
We have come a long way and now we are going backwards.
Sorry, I don't like the direction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom