Smith and Wesson 22A-1, anyone else got one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had mine for a couple of years, hasn't been Mr Reliable. FTF (barely dents the rim) about 5% of the time with one magazine, 90% with other mag.
Any tune up tips would be appreciated. I like the gun, it's a good shooter, when it shoots.
I know it's ammo sensitive, it's less reliable with Winchester than with Federal or Remington.

booger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea I have one have had it for 2 years and mine likes federal so that is what I feed it. haven't tried any other ammo except cci and it will eat that to no problem. So mine has been ultra reliable with the ammo I stated. that has been my experience with rimfires is find a ammo that works and stock up.[Broken External Image]

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Bought one this weekend. Went from the gun shop to the range and shot a thousand rounds (525=CCI, 555= Winchester bulk pack) straight out of the plastic case with a few FTF (solid rim strikes but failed to fire) from the Winchester box. No problems at all with the function of the gun.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had mine for a couple of years, hasn't been Mr Reliable. FTF (barely dents the rim) about 5% of the time with one magazine, 90% with other mag.
Any tune up tips would be appreciated. I like the gun, it's a good shooter, when it shoots.

Fail to fire might be caused by gunk around the firing pin, located inside the slide insert: here are two links for removal/reassembly http://www.reviewsofthings.com/guns/smith-wesson-22a-firing-pin-removal-cleaning-reassembly.html & http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36509&start=0

The 5% vs 90% difference in failure to fire between magazines seems odd. Give the slide insert, firing pin channel and firing pin a good cleaning and let us know what happens.

As mentioned above, keep trying different ammo (and keeping notes) and keep us posted.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I traded someone here a radial arm saw for one about two years ago, so far it shoots everything fine ,the mag does hang up on the second or third from the bottom hp ,because of the cut in the mags , soilds it eat all day long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom