Smith & Wesson 4013 VS CS 40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a CCW and I am currently looking at either a 4013 or a CS40. I figure that, at this point, one of these would be a better buy than a M&P Shield. What are your thoughts on this?

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3rd gen smiths are good guns. i've had several. On here there's been a CS40 thats changed hands a couple times. I've never had a 4013 but i've had two 4043's.

Boomer45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard really good things about both of these guns, which is why I am considering both. The problem is that these are not pistols that one can just walk into a local gun range and rent to try out. At some point I will probably end up owning one of each however with this being my first CCW I want to do my best to make a good decision my first time out. Then CCW option # 2,3,4...ect can be experimental.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The grip on the CS40 is very thin. This is nice for concealment, but for large handed shooters such as myself, this is problematic. I felt that my hand just enveloped the gun, and it was not comfortable. On the other hand, I felt that the grip on the 6946 (DAO 9MM equivalent of the 4013) was good. I really enjoyed shooting it, and I did not feel that I gave up much in terms of concealed care ability. That said, either gun would be a fine choice for carry. Third generation S&W semiautomatics are really under appreciated firearms.