Sodomy Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll answer you out of the theological doctrine I believe to be true. This is not advocacy for laws, just what I believe to be true, and how it applies to the spiritual and emotional nature of mankind.

He didn't design it to work that way. We are designed to join one man to one woman, with God overhead. When we insert more people into that equation, we throw it off, and risk emotional and spiritual harm to ourselves and others.

Think of it like a piece of play ground equipment. Misusing it may be fun, and may not even seem bad if nobody is getting hurt. But if that misuse breaks the equipment, you don't get to have fun anymore.

Not sure I truly agree here... I mean, lots of guys in the OT had plenty of wives, and with God's blessings. Culturally, we've evolved to a more one-on-one acceptable style, but I'm not sure "we are designed" that way.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In every case it caused problems. When Abraham started sleeping with Hagar, Hagar and Sarah started hating each other, and Abraham had to let her go and didn't really get to be around for his oldest son.

Jacob's wives had all kinds of emotional issues, and his son got the hots for one of them, because "hey, she's not MY mom."

David's son's were all the time infighting.

Solomon brought down the whole friggin kingdom by marrying so many women.

Sure, they still work things out for the most part, but it's messy.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure I truly agree here... I mean, lots of guys in the OT had plenty of wives, and with God's blessings. Culturally, we've evolved to a more one-on-one acceptable style, but I'm not sure "we are designed" that way.

Yes it is understandable that we might look at some of the major heroes of the OT and see that they had multiple wives and conclude that that is or was ok. But here is some circumspection on the issue of polygamy:
...the Bible explicitly condemns the polygamy of Old Testament kings (Deuteronomy 17:17). Likewise, New Testament elders and deacons are called to be “the husband of but one wife” (1 Timothy 3:2, 12; Titus 1:6). Just as the requirements for church leaders set the standards of morality and spiritual maturity for all believers, so too the admonition against polygamy for the kings of Israel demonstrates the danger of this practice for all. Solomon is the quintessential example of one whose legacy of faithfulness was compromised because of his polygamous behavior.

Finally, God’s disdain for polygamy is seen in its consequences. The Old Testament clearly reveals the familial strife and temptations that accompany the practice. Solomon is the quintessential example of one whose legacy of faithfulness was compromised because of his polygamous behavior. Despite his world–renowned wisdom, Solomon’s peaceful and prosperous rule ended in idolatrous scandal and civil strife, for “his wives turned his heart after other gods” (1 Kings 11:4).
http://www.equip.org/bible_answers/does-the-bible-promote-polygamy-2/

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No no no..... that's different. We will ignore that. You are spot on when you say we aren't "designed" that way.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No no no..... that's different. We will ignore that. You are spot on when you say we aren't "designed" that way.

It would appear that we are designed to reproduce, and this is not accomplished through sodomy. Those that have sodomy as their only means of sexual release are by design prevented from reproducing....but we're sure trying to "fix" that.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would appear that we are designed to reproduce, and this is not accomplished through sodomy. Those that have sodomy as their only means of sexual release are by design prevented from reproducing....but we're sure trying to "fix" that.

I'm scared we might not make it.

images

I hate traffic.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I wasn't refering to sodomy. You are correct on the "fix" though.... only it's been happening for generations.

Homosexuality is a genetic anomaly, and I get that most here will disagree, but scientific understanding isn't a forte around here. Either way, there is no reason for the genetic trait to exist in terms of reproduction. It would've likely burned out so to speak or maintained relatively low numbers, as you say by design. However, pressure from society and religious families have caused those genes to be passed on through reproduction and marriage of individuals that were quietly gay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom