Spinoff: Gunshow situation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading SuperDave's post about a gunshow experience, I have to question this. The very thing that was suggested (a straw purchase) is allowed to go on anyway. Every private seller that had multiple lowers or BNIB and never fired ARs, bought them strictly to flip. If anyone tells me they bought 10 lowers to build their own guns, I'll call BS. Maybe 2 or 3, but 10? C'mon.

And on another tangent:
The licensed dealers pay for tables to be at the show. The private sellers pay for tables to be at the show. Why are people, who walked in off the street with a gun over their shoulder, not required to pay a sellers fee? I know some will say "What if it didn't sell?". Well, the guys with tables don't get their money back if they don't sell anything do they?

Just my two cents.

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The people who walked in off of the street paid to get in the door. I view gun shows as a "buy, sell, trade" affair. If I have something I want to trade I should be able to do so without having to pay more than I already am to get in. If gun shows want to start allowing free admission then I could understand charging a fee to trade or sell. I don't have to pay to get into a retail store and I wouldn't consider walking into one of those to sell an item to one of their customers.

The guys who are out buying multiple guns right now to resell.....yeah, I got nothing for that. It's pretty obvious that they are buying to resell.

SDS

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I set up at shows and was set up at Daves. The people who walk in off the street with guns are the reason most people set up. It's their bread and butter. What I don't understand is why is now, if you buy a gun and sell it for a profit. Your a horrible person. NO One, let me say that again. NO ONE is putting a gun to their head and telling them they have to buy this item. If you are a fool enough to pay $800 for a lower, when you know it's not worth no more then $80 that's on the buyer not the seller. This is not an item that is a must have to stay alive or feed your family, it's a WANT! The only thing that needs to be done, is for Gov. to step in and take that person to a hospital and have him snipped so he doesn't make more idiot's like him.

Last edited:

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The people who walked in off of the street paid to get in the door. I view gun shows as a "buy, sell, trade" affair. If I have something I want to trade I should be able to do so without having to pay more than I already am to get in. If gun shows want to start allowing free admission then I could understand charging a fee to trade or sell. I don't have to pay to get into a retail store and I wouldn't consider walking into one of those to sell an item to one of their customers.

The guys who are out buying multiple guns right now to resell.....yeah, I got nothing for that. It's pretty obvious that they are buying to resell.

SDS

I agree with this. You are paying Admission which I see as the same as a sellers fee.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every private seller that had multiple lowers or BNIB and never fired ARs, bought them strictly to flip. If anyone tells me they bought 10 lowers to build their own guns, I'll call BS. Maybe 2 or 3, but 10? C'mon.

You could call BS. But I'll say that in the last 2 months( all purchased before this craziness) I have purchased and built a total of 6 rifles and already had 3. I still own them all, will not be selling them, and if I did sell them would only expect to sell for what I have in them.

Not everyone is out to turn a profit. Some people just see what could be coming and prepare for it.

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You say flip, someone else says "I'm enhancing my collection."

10 lowers is only about $500 worth, circa two months ago. Is it strange to have 10 lowers? 100 beanie babies? 500 collectible spoons?

Now if those lowers went up in value and can be sold for a easy $250... you can see the temptation here. That's a lot of beanie babies.

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as people selling off their shoulder-- it has always been that way at gun shows. I wouldn't go to a gun show that wouldn't let you sell and trade. Superdave doesn't allow guys to push in baby carriages full of stuff, so they can run a rolling table for the $8 admission fee (and get in everybody else's way), but carry a gun to sell, sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom