Springfield xds 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
XDS in .45 was one of THE best pistols I've owned. Trigger wasn't sloppy and didn't have much recoil. I fed it several kinds of ammo and it took it like a champ. Very nice for CC. Smaller than my P290 and packed more of a punch.

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just don't see it being over $100 better than the S&W Shield.

This was pretty much my assessment too. It shouldn't be a $550 pistol. I think SA screwed up by not making a smaller framed XDS for the 9mm. In the same sized package as the 45, I'd rather have the 45. The main arguments for 9 over 45 as a defensive cartridge don't apply here.

CoachR64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the xds, the xds9, and have shot the shield. The value per dollar isn't an arguement I adhere to when choosing a pistol that I could be depending on to protect myself and my family every day. For me, the size, ergonomics, shoot ability, etc... Favor the xds. I'd still love to own a shield in 9mm. Finding one is a different story. Is the xds $100 better? Probably not if you just compare it In terms of being a good reliable pistol. For me, it is definitely worth the $100 more in terms of feel, shoot ability, an ergonomics. I also prefer the sites on the xds, as I am becoming s big fan of fiber optics.

So, yes, I believe the xds is worth the extra money if the gun fits your hands, shoots well for you, and fits a need in your collection/carry rotation.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it's 7+1.

I've read the 9mm is heavier by an ounce or two than the .45. Which is interesting.

There's more "meat" in the barrel of the 9mm. The !.D. of the barrel is smaller, so the walls are thicker... Maybe that's where the extra ounce or two comes from.