Storm shelter maintenance / repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have a hard time having much confidence in one made out of metal but thats just me was raised with a dug out and framed with old telephone poles and bridge timbers for the walls and roof then covered with dirt and it survived atleast 2 tornados that i can remember that passed over. I would rather just build one on site over the prefab ones, the ones i have seen the steps are to hard to get in and out of if you have some physical handicap or mobility issue.

The steps to access and egress an in-ground shelter was the deal killer for us. Too hard to get ourselves and the dogs into one. I prefer an easy access, above ground shelter. When built and installed properly they're just as safe without a lot of the issues of in-ground shelters.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those in the ground shelters in the garage scare me. It's like a coffin. My neighbor had one installed and 2 days later it floated up out of the ground. And they are a pain to climb down into. I'm very happy with my above ground walk in shelter.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those in the ground shelters in the garage scare me. It's like a coffin. My neighbor had one installed and 2 days later it floated up out of the ground. And they are a pain to climb down into. I'm very happy with my above ground walk in shelter.
The builder that I bought my house from offered to have one installed at his cost, as part of negotiation on the price so as to not lower the house values of the other new homes he was building. I accepted and wish I hadnt. I hate that thing. He would have negotiated other things instead. I had him repaint the inside to a color of my choice rather than the chalky white he used. I also got a good quality storm door installed. No I hate the cheap carpet he used and instead of a garage fraidy hole, I wish I had him remove the carpet and put down wood flooring or similar. Cost would have been less for him as he had the manpower to do it and there was no furniture to move yet.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The steps to access and egress an in-ground shelter was the deal killer for us. Too hard to get ourselves and the dogs into one. I prefer an easy access, above ground shelter. When built and installed properly they're just as safe without a lot of the issues of in-ground shelters.
Ours had 2 or 3 step cant remember for sure but was easier to get in and out of than alot of the steps i see on peoples porches and the back 3 ft of it was where mom stored all her canned veg, friuts ,jelly/jams and pickles and at one time we had 15 people in it with plenty of room for everyone to sit even thou 3/4 of them was kids.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First do what you can to get run off away from the house, downspouts into drains going out to the street, or french drains away from the house. May not completely fix the issue, but the more water you can get away from the house the better.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be/ still is some stuff called Block Bond? maybe.

Never used it but heard it was good. Agree with what the others have said, ditch this one and do something different, if your pocket book will allow it.

This one sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom