Students suspended for wearing Confederate flags to protest gay rainbow flag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At Tahoma High School in the nether suburbs of Seattle, it’s totally okay to display a gay-pride flag, but two juniors were suspended for three days for wearing Confederate flags at school.

An unnamed school district spokesman said that a sophomore had been exhibiting a gay-pride flag at Tahoma High for the last two weeks, reports local CBS affiliate KIRO. When the two juniors showed up on Tuesday in a common area wearing the Confederate flags as a political statement in response, they were suspended.

School officials said the Confederate flags caused a disruption because some students were upset. The officials added that the garb was an undisclosed violation of the Tahoma High dress code.

At least one of the unidentified, Confederate flag-wearing students wore the controversial symbol around his neck in some fashion.

Local residents supported the school’s decision, according to KIRO.

“I can see where we wouldn’t okay that,” said concerned aunt Tiki Scroggins, who was at at school to pick up her nephew. “There’s too many ethnic backgrounds that that could offend.”

“It’s about the attitude,” she added.

Students with whom the CBS affiliate spoke also voiced support for the suspension. They noted that it’s one thing to see the flag on a vehicle, but another to see it at school.

“You don’t expect, like, kids to show up with a Confederate flag on their back,” senior Coleman Wooten said.

It’s not clear if the two juniors will fight their suspensions.

For complete article: http://news.yahoo.com/students-susp...rate-flags-protest-gay-rainbow-134602291.html

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm actually fine with gay rights if they would calm down and act like everyone else. You don't see me having a straight mixed-Asian parade every year but there are bumper stickers and flags and horrible parades for gay rights. I've been to the OKC parade, some people treated it like a freak show parade, that doesn't help your cause. Kudos to the kids for doing something but they might have complained to a parent of teacher first before escalating it.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand what one has to do with the other.

I would have thought if it was a boy wearing the gay pride t-shirt, the counter protest shirt should have had a picture of female genitalia on it, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom