Subcompact and Conceal Carry Class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 60-something year old mother is up from Lawton for the holidays. We were talking about Christmas presents last night and she says "What I'd really like to have is a conceal carry class". So, through grinning teeth, I ask you guys if anyone is giving a class in Tulsa before Jan 2nd or if you OKC guys can recommend someone down there after the new year

Secondly, which one of you local guys can step away from the AR fray long enough to help her find the right 9mm subcompact? She really liked the size and weight of my Glock 26. I'd like to get her both for Christmas (though I realize before Christmas could be a challenge)

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Tulsa, both 2A and USSA have concealed carry classes beginning January 5 according to their web sites.

About the gun - are you asking where to buy it, or are you asking what alternatives to consider.

For where to buy - in Tulsa, I would look at SportsWorld and 2A. I was in SportsWorld a few days ago. Very busy, but they had plenty of handguns in the display cases. I don't think the panic buying has extended beyond AR/AK stuff. Don't know about the 26.

A Glock 26 is a fine weapon. There is no other subcompact 9mm I would prefer. I have one, but since I put grip extenders on the magazines, I don't think it is any easier to conceal than a 19. If I had it to do over, I would get the 19.

For a lot of folks, though, I would suggest a .38 revolver instead of a semi. Maybe a Ruger LCR, maybe an SP101, maybe an old Smith J frame with no lock. Depends on hand size, grip strength, mechanical aptitude, how much they will practice, and like that. If she won't shoot more than once a year, a revolver makes a lot of sense. My wife, in the same age range as your mother, prefers her revolver.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I am about to do is rarely done around our house. I'm going to speak of a recent weapon purchase. Christmas brought three Springfield XDs 45's to three different family members, one of which is my wife. When we finally got to go shoot them a while back, she stated that the XDs did not have much different recoil than her 9mm Springfield XD subcompact. Oh, and I guess I should mention that my wife is also 60 years old.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! We went to 2A and tried out many different makes and models, semi and revolver. Ultimately, she liked the fit and trigger of a Glock 19 far above anything else. Unfortunately, they were sold out (as were both Academys) and only had the rental model to show her. Sports World wasn't open and the rumor of them stating "We won't be ordering any more tactical rifles" has me less than excites to buy from them. Now to the task of finding one and getting her enrolled in a class. Looks like I'll have to find an OKC class next year

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tulsa Red Castle Gun Club will be having classes at their indoor range located at 11th and Zunis in Tulsa.
December 27 &28 evening class 2 nights 4 hours each.
or December 30th Sunday 11 to 7
Information can be found at tulsaredcastlegunclub.com click on handgun license classes.
You may be able to reach Don at 918-688-9314
You can also see his website at guninstructor.net

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am having CC classes fri 12/28 and Sat 12/29. Fri 9:00 - 4:30 and Sat 8:00 - 4:00. $49.95 + gun and ammo included + three free range passes.

see full schedule at www.firearmsontarget.com.

I teach a special class for women called Firearms For Women for the past 3.5 years. The thing that I have learned is that there is a big diff between how a gun fells in her hand and the 'felt recoil' she will be able to handle when shooting a 9mm and another question can she operate the slide for a malfunction?

Depending on her strength - sometimes a 9mm is too much for a woman - I have seen this for women in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Class descriptions at www.firearmsontarget.com

e-mail at [email protected] if I can help.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks PB. We actually talked about the malfunction possibility and she was able to work the slide and slide release on the Glock. I was actually kind of surprised but we worked my 17 and 26 in the dining room for a good 30-45 minutes tonight and she never had a problem locking or releasing the slide. Taking her back to 2A tomorrow to rent a 19 and try my 26 with +2

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who offered help and advice. We went to 2A this morning and spent almost 2 1/2 hours shooting. She was having too much fun and didn't want to leave. Ended up getting her a Glock 26. This was her first time shooting and she was in the bullseye 70-80% of the time at 7 yards. Dead center when she wouldn't jerk the trigger.

i250.photobucket.com_albums_gg262_TorchRedTulsan_OK_20Shooters_81e3258e976a43459aae42c5cec7e5c4.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom