Suggest an exotic meat for smoking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have acquired a gift card to The Meat House butcher shop and I'm wanting to pick up something different to throw on the smoker. I don't doubt that their pork, beef and poultry has the potential to be better than what I get at Crest, so I'm not against picking up a higher quality meat of the same type and cut I'm familiar with, but I'd like to try something different.

They mention that they have bison, venison, alligator, ostrich and boar as some of their exotic meats available, but you can have them order even more, apparently. I've had gator a few times and it was hit or miss, but some gator ribs might be okay. I'm really looking for something that was once inside a fluffy brown buffalo, as it's my favorite red meat. Elk would be a consideration, but I've never had any sort of smoked venison. I'm curious how much of a difference there is between a smoked [pulled] shoulder from a farm pig and a boar. Has anyone smoked a boar shoulder?

Whichever meat and cuts I get, they must be able to fit on a 22.5" grate and go well smoked over the typical available woods (apple, cherry, hickory, etc).

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've smoked wild boar before and to me it is nothing like the oinker you buy in a store (not cured). It had a beefier (?) taste.

I would go for a thick cut if elk. Elk meat has been my favorite wild game so far.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whole piglet?

Oh, I wish! I just don't have the space. I'm on a drum smoker, so it'd have to be a tiny little chihuahua-sized piglet.

I've smoked wild boar before and to me it is nothing like the oinker you buy in a store (not cured). It had a beefier (?) taste.

I would go for a thick cut if elk. Elk meat has been my favorite wild game so far.

Do you recall which cut of boar you smoked? Beefier pork might be pretty interesting.

I don't know much about venison (in the context that the Meat House uses it: deer-like creatures), so which cut is a good candidate for smoking?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Elk compared to deer venison shouldn't even remotely be grouped in the same class, definitely go with the elk............ostrich would be my second choice. A friend of my dad's used to raise those psychotic bird in the 80's, they eat really well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom