Suitable replacement for antibiotics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brotherbrown831

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm very new to the concept of prepping, and although stockpiling large quantities of fuel/ammo/weapons is very fun and interesting, my biggest concerns in a survival situation center around infection/disease/injury. I have put together a fairly complete trauma kit and over the counter medical supplies, but since antibiotics require a prescription and have a relatively short shelf life I am looking for sustainable suitable replacement.

Does anyone know any books or resources that cover this type of medicine from natural sources (plants/household materials)? I know penicillin originally came from moldy bread but im sure its more involved than just eating moldy bread. Thanks in advance for the help.

brotherbrown831

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a SHTF situation I assumed the to two likely forms of medical emergency would be fracture/flesh-wound and disease/infection.

For the fracture/flesh-wound I have a lot of quick-clot, sterile goss pads (feminine hygiene pads work great for this), suture kit, peroxide for cleaning, lots of medical tape and a home-made turnakit(sp?) I made our of a leather straps and splinting materials. Along with the usual assortment of bandages and things.

For the disease/infection I first focused on sanitation/prevention by including a lot of bleach/hand sanitizer/iodine pills. I have individual medications to treat certain high risk symptoms, like anti-diahrehal, Tylenol for fever, antihistamines for bug bites and rash, hydrocortizone, neo-sporin etc etc.... I even keep a Epi pens around just in case an unknown severe allergy kicks in. I have little ones at home so I also made sure to stock up and child safe versions of all over the counter medications.

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haa, Can't keep to myself I guess.
Your kit.. "suture kit, peroxide for cleaning"..

Many believe that they may need to stitch a wound when we are in the field, on our own. Stitching may [read will] trap an infection. Not stitching will result in an ugly scar. It may take longer to heal, but even big ugly wounds will heal.
I could maybe see stitching if I cut myself sharpening a just cleaned [ with bleach] knife, but the kinds of ugly cuts and tears we might have in the field will be very dirty. Don't kill the patient by locking in an infection. Once an infection enters the blood stream, your in big trouble.

This is not medical advice. I'm not a medical person. Just another prepper. Keep learning, keep prepping. The best things we take into a disaster is the stuff in our head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=9x248zWZkHM&NR=1

brotherbrown831

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the guidance, I was always thought that under 8 hours, assuming you could properly clean the wound, closing would reduce exposure and lesson chance for infection as well as speed up recovery. I'm certainly concerned about infection which leads me back to the original question, do you guys include penicillin, zithromax, etc.. in your preps? Are the pet versions of these drugs available without a prescription?

Im still reading the links posted above, so hopefully I will find some info there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom