Sunday Swine Day - Part One

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My smoker is a small one... someday I may have a bigger one, though. :D

There are lots of guys on here more experienced than me... I just love cooking and this is my new hobby, so I'm more motivated to share my exploits and take lots of pics to make you guys drool! :D

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Part two will be next Sunday, when I'll be doing a repeat of some of this for my mother's birthday.

For today... we just decided to invite our 4 closest neighbors over for dinner tonight. Unfortunately, it looks like my pork shoulder/butt is going to be done WAY WAY WAY too early today. We're not supposed to eat until about 6, but it's going to be done in the next couple of hours (it's not quite 10AM right now). Pork butts cook differently every time, so I've heard, but I was worried and didn't want to be running short and be forced to rely on the Texas Crutch to pull off the finish by dinnertime. This is an effective method, but it does have some downsides, especially if you're a bark-junkie.

So, last time (my first butt on Pork Tuesday), I had a butt that was around 6.8 pounds and needed very very little trimming. I ended up cooking it right at 12h or 12h15m or something. Pulled at temp of 203F as recommended by Meathead at AmazingRibs.com and it was absolutely PERFECT.

This time, I got a butt that was over 10 lbs, trimmed maybe a 1/2 lb or so. Someone here mentioned their last butt was 9 lbs and took 23 hours, so I was worried... my 6-lb'er took 2 hours per pound, so I wanted to make certain I had enough time to finish this 10-lb'er. I rubbed it up, wrapped in plastic wrap and put it back in fridge for an hour or so, then popped it in the smoker at 225-240 overnight starting about 1:00AM. It's now 9:53AM, and my Maverick ET-372 is reading 196F. 9 hours and she's almost done, in spite of being around 50% larger. <sigh>

So the butt's gonna be way early - probably too early, even, for the faux cambro to do me much good. However, that will leave plenty of room for the racks of ribs and armadillo eggs I'm going to be throwing on this afternoon. :D

It's kinda the same song, different verse, really... I feel like I'm posting the same pictures over and over again, although it's different episodes.

So here's where I'm at for this morning, so far. I'll post some pics up of the ribs and 'dillo eggs later on.

Looks great!!!! Sam's has the best pork butts, they come 8 in a case, or you can buy them individually, cheap too.

You will have to come cook for an OKC FGST get together. Or we need an OSA BBQ!

Myself, Dalyup, and justin_h635 cook pork butts about 3 times a year for various dinners and fund raisers, cook 24 at a time.............should that get together happen:)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ribs are on. Shoulder is done, chilling for the moment, then we'll throw the pan in the oven in a while. Fixin' ta make up some armadillo eggs... shooting for some heat this time for my own, everyone else can have their pansy-ass ones. :D

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, here ya go... sorry, I've been busier than a one-armed paper-hanger.

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_103_zps1d9effc1.jpg

Did the 'dillo eggs a little different this time, but nothing too substantial. Some of them I wanted to be hotter, so I just cut out a "window" of the pepper, then stuffed in as much cream cheese/pepper jack mixture as I could, put the window back in and wrapped it in sausage, leaving the pepper stem hanging out... this way it'll be easier to tell which are hot and which are extremely deseeded/deveined for our guests who desire a slightly gentler flavor. Hoping the hot ones will be spicy enough for me. :D We'll see!

Someone had mentioned putting a little Head Country seasoning in them, which sounds good, but I forgot to pick some up, and was pretty rushed trying to get the eggs made and put on, as well as the beans in the oven.

The pork is in the oven now, too... since it finished 7 hours before time to eat, I actually tossed a stick of butter in (real butter) when I was pulling it apart, a little kosher salt (not even a teaspoon in that big pan) and covered it all up tight with foil, put it in the fridge. Now it's in the over for an hour or so to get it all hot and bothered again, and I'll see how it looks when I pull it out and stir it up some.

God, I can't wait to eat!!!!

Wife made pasta salad, I made some "baked beans" which was a couple of the large cans of Ranch Style Beans (one drained), about 1-1.5 pounds of hamburger I seasoned and cooked up with some onions, then sweated some onions and green pepper, threw it all in with the beans and a can of corn (drained), added a little Head Country sauce, not too much. Then bake in the oven for an hour. I am thinking I will throw some of the pork in, as some others suggested before. We'll see.

Oh, and some sweet, fresh-cut Oklahoma watermelon.

Lots of soda (most diet in this house), about a 12-pack of Redd's Apple, some Gatorade, Kool-Aid, water and those Mio flavoring things... and a 6-pack of Michelob Amber Bock for me! :D

Folks oughtta be here in maybe 15-30 mins. Can't wait! :D

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow it was good... but we have enough leftovers to feed an army, lol.

Damn.

I will say, I really liked the baked/bbq beans alot more this time than the last time I made them. I have tons left over, and I'm going to put some of the pulled pork in them.

I have most of two racks of ribs left, three stuffed full 1 qt ziploc baggies of pork and 2 1/2 Chinese take-out containers of beans. I'll be a happy man all week! :D

Oh, and a bunch of the dillo eggs left. I think I'm the only person who ate one of the hot ones, so I have plenty of those left as well. They are big... easily 1/4 pounder size, and I think there are 5 of those alone! Yum!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say, I really liked the baked/bbq beans alot more this time than the last time I made them. I have tons left over, and I'm going to put some of the pulled pork in them.

Yes, The majority of the burnt ends go to the chef, but some go to the beans.

Your hobby is coming along nicely. :D

Congrats on keeping after it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom