Super Bowl I Airing Friday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For the NFL/history bunch, Super Bowl I will be aired on the NFL network this Friday at 7pm. It's not been seen in it's entirety since that day it was originally played. All 145 plays, sideline footage of Lombardi, post game interview with Hank Stram. Hopefully they'll have some era correct commercials! Would be interesting if GB/KS played again this year 50 years later.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fascinating and very sad story about the real broadcast, which isn't what we'll be seeing on Friday.

Why the NFL is unable to re-air original broadcast of Super Bowl I
Eric Adelson,Yahoo Sports 7 hours ago Comments Like Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

Super Bowl I: The Lost Game

Get a sneak peak at the prequel of one the greatest games no one has seen, Super Bowl I, which NFL Films has pieced together for its first ever airing in full on Friday on NFL Network.
It wouldn't be a true NFL event without legal wrangling, a disagreement over money, and a fan who feels he got a raw deal.
The league is presenting Super Bowl I on Friday on its network, and for almost anyone who wasn't watching the actual game on Jan. 15, 1967, it will be the first time viewing it. That's because even though both CBS and NBC broadcast the game that day, neither network has a tape of it, so the Green Bay Packers' historic win over the Kansas City Chiefs hasn't ever been rebroadcast, even in part. NFL Films was there on that day, though, and has cobbled together the game from its archives. That's what will be aired on Friday.

However, a tape of the original broadcast exists. And that tale of the tape is equal parts intriguing and maddening.

A Pennsylvania resident, who has remained anonymous to this day, had a copy of the original broadcast and brought it to the Paley Center for Media in New York. The Paley Center vetted it on a two-inch-tape machine. According to Paley Center curator Ron Simon, the footage is fascinating. This was at the dawn of instant replay, so the broadcasters are heard reassuring viewers that they were not looking at game action but rather a capture of previous plays. Slow motion was still a new trick. Frank Gifford, then only 36 years old, provided color commentary. Pat Summerall handled the trophy presentation. The commercials were not at all like what we'll see next month: ads for Black Label beer, shampoo, and cigarettes. The cost of a 30-second ad was $42,000 (compared to today's millions). It's TV gold.

So the Paley Center gave it to the NFL and it was shown to the world, right? Well, no. Because the tape was so rare and valuable, the fan wanted money for it. He threw out a number: $1 million.

The NFL came back with a far lower number, "low five-figures," according to the tape-holder's lawyer, Steve Harwood.

"The reaction was: it's their game and they did not want to pay for something they felt was theirs," he says.

Read the rest here...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/d...inal-broadcast-of-super-bowl-i-215918750.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom