Talk me out of this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a pistol grip "tactical" Mossberg 500 in 20ga. It's my go to HD gun. They are kind of hard to find, and I'm surprised that more people don't buy these, since the stopping power is very close to that of a 12ga, but the recoil is significantly less.

So anyway, this was built with a pistol grip at the factory. I'm thinking about making an AOW out of it, not quite a Serbu Super Shorty, but I think a 10-12" barrel would be sweet, then some two tone cerakote.

What's the process to do this legally, and is there a reason who I shouldn't do this? Of course, once I got the paperwork, I'd have someone do the work professionally.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can't do it. It has to be a factory made AOW to get the $5 stamp. You're stuck paying the $200 stamp.

See this thread :

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?163459-Question-on-Home-Made-SBR

And you can see my Factory AOW which is what you are wanting to make. The Serbu's, I had on e of them also are factory made so yes they are $5 stamp just like my Remington was. Remington no longer makes AOW shotguns.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
even if you use a virgin receiver it costs $200 tax stamp for private individual to make it.
however whom ever buys it from you would get the benefit of the $5 tax stamp.
might as well make it a sbs and switch back and forth between buttstock and pistolgrip.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get one made from the number I gave, Moss is $600 and Rem is about $200 more. Wait is about 8mo. Moss total of 17in is a 2+1, or a 19in 3+1. Not sure on the Rem. More info on Gunbroker item #325849507

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKAY...

I don't know the tube shell capacity for your current config but cutting it back from say 18" to 10 to 12" would cut the tube capacity at least in half one would think.

For an HD shotgun one should have as large a tube capacity as possible that won't interfere with maneuvering the weapon in a home environment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom