Taurus Judge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless I misread it, you keep an empty chamber under the hammer? (partial quote: with 4, 00 buck rounds in the first cylinder, a Hornady Leverevolution
.45LC in the second, alternating each.)

Most wheel guns really don't require that. Maybe the Judge is different.

Mr. Ersland did that with his Judge.

Sounds like the .410 stuff is a little better than it used to be. Still don't like the guns, and will bet chrony numbers won't match factory specs.

<edit: did you mean each 00 buck round has 4 pellets?>

<more: here's a link: https://americanhandgunner.com/the-lessons-of-the-oklahoma-pharmacy-incident/ this is by Ayoob and is the first place I have seen info on what loads Ersland used. Not trying to stir up the Ersland mess again, but it's interesting reading.>

Last edited:

rr2008

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CB, I am guessing he means 4 pellet 00 buck rounds (each shell containing 4 pellets of 00 buck sized pellet). that is similar to what I keep loaded in mine, a variety of SD rounds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I don't keep an empty chamber on any thing. DA gun. 5 rounds on a judge, 6 on the S&W varient.

My chrony hasn't been used yet, but penetration through 2X4's seems pretty good. I'm sure it would make it through clothing and ribs.

I don't want to shoot my available rounds on tests now as I can't replace it.
Does ayoob say he is shooting current ammo or old stuff?
I'm bouncing around in a boat on my phone right now with a weak signal.

EDIT: Interesting read about Earsland, but it has nothing to do with this conversation other than the fact the Judge stopped the fight with one round, but we still don't know what that was used for the round.
I for one would sure like to know.

BTW, the .410 slug was a legal deer round in Arkansas until just a few years ago. Kill vs wound ratio we will never know.

I've seen deer run after a 7 mag shot.

Last edited:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is some pretty interesting .410 ammo being made now for these personal defense guns.

I don't have a Judge, but do have a sweet Savage model 30E pump .410 with modified choke that love's these new defensive rounds. She'll produce fist size groups at 30yds with most of the Buckshot loads. Now she's not a primary home defense firearm, but I wouldn't worry if it was all I had, and really needed her, as she could deliver the goods. Plus she's alot prettier than one of those ugly looking revolvers of the same caliber.
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_OrthodoxChristmas023.jpg

The small shot pattern you see around the smaller buckshot patterns is one load of a normal #6 shot.
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_OrthodoxChristmas027.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom