Tech Help: HDMI Switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a media closet with a 50 foot HDMI cable connected to my TV. Since I only have 1 HDMI input going to the TV, I need to use an HDMI switch so that I can connect my Blu-ray and Directv to the TV using the single HDMI cable. My problem is that I have purchased 2 switches, a Rocketfish 4 port HDMI switch and a Kinivo 301BN switch from Amazon. Neither have worked. I saw a glimmer of the screen when my Blu-Ray player fired up, but then it went dark. Am I missing some compatibility issue or have I simply got 2 switches that are bad? The Directv and the Blu-ray both worked when connected directly.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My HDMI switch has a power input cable. Did both of yours have power inputs?

50ft sounds like a long ways for HDMI.

Found this online:

After 25ft they are no longer certified for high speed. Standard speed cables can carry 1080p but it depends on the device is why we only list them as 1080i/720p. Many newer devices though if all you want is 1080p can achieve that with standard speed cables, you only really need a standard speed cable if you are running both 3D and 1080p. - Nick M., Monoprice technical support
Think of 25 feet as the magic barrier. You could go longer than that but you'd need to confirm that all of your devices will work with standard speed HDMI cables in order to view 1080p content without concerns.

Sounds like a combination of too much cable going into a switch.

Just throwing stuff out there.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One other thing--if you're using HDMI cables with Redmere technology (or something similar), they're directional, so make sure you have the Display end plugged into the TV and the Source end plugged into the switch (and the Display ends plugged into the switch and the Source ends plugged into the DirecTV, BluRay, etc).

If you're not using Redmere cables, try one of Monoprice's Redmere cables. I bought a few of them at work, though I think the longest was about 35 feet. My recollection is that they're not particularly expensive (I got them from Amazon, BTW).

Latest posts

Top Bottom