Testing the Newest Outboard on the Market - Wish me Luck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a ten foot plastic bass buggy last year as a poor man's way to get on the water. The trolling motor I've been using as the main drive won't get me where I want to go on the lake and back. So after hemming and hawing (and not wanting to put a $600 honda on a $800 boat), I finally rolled the dice and got the newest motor the Chinese had to offer: a Hangkai 4-Stroke, 4 HP outboard.

Power rating seems suspect.

I put in gear oil, motor oil, and gas and she fired right up. I tighten all the bolts and checked all the seals. Some of the welds don't look pretty but seem solid. Right at $200 in it if you add in the oil.

I am taking her out on the water tomorrow to go fishing. If you don't hear from me again, I'll be at the bottom of the lake covered in Chinese-ium shrapnel.

1711059731433.png

1711060079708.png

1711060166097.png

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could be using one of these trolling motors. Unfortunately it’s human powered but gives you more capability for gear since no heavy battery is required. Yes it’s real.

View attachment 463972
View attachment 463973
That's an ingenious trick! A real calorie burner compared to the oar. It looks like an oversized meat grinder. They should have mounted a funnel on it and sold it as a 2 in 1. Grind/chum shad and perch while trolling.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mounted a push mower engine on an old 1960's lower unit years ago.
No reverse of course just turn the entire thing around.

I only used it in a 55 gallon bucket.
My son got a huge canoe many years later and I had pulled the lawn mower engine off since then but had other push mowers and mounted one on it and it would not start.

Seems some of these newer engines need the weight of the push mower blade to get them running.
The old one I had was an old briggs and the newer one was some OHV engine.
I gave him my 4HP 1977 Evinrude.

I hope that engine works for you.
Would be nice to get a 4HP outboard that works great for cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom