Texting While Driving Bill Tabled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Texting while waiting for the light to change should be legal. I drive in traffic all day and waiting at lights is a large amount of time. I don't get angry when people honk to tell me to go. We are not at the drag races and need to get off the line fast. Its really easy for the police to tell if you are texting and driving. You are looking down while driving. Thats called distracted driving.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and this is why the laws either need to be enforced or something needs to be written...... people don't really care.

I understand what your saying, but people won't care if there is a law that says it's illegal to text and drive. Everyone is still going to do it regardless. Texting is to big of a part of everyone's lives these days. People use it for personal use, but also for work, etc. Will it make some revenue for the State? Sure, but that's about it. If a law was enforced tomorrow it wouldn't change a thing a year later. How many people put on their seat belt because it's illegal? People are going to put their seat belt on because they want to feel safe not because it's illegal. I very rarely wear my seat belt(my choice), but never have I got in my truck and thought I better put my seat belt on because it's illegal. Same thing, making it illegal will only make it worse. Before you call someone don't you hold your phone in roughly the same area while scrolling through your contacts to make the call? Then you put it up to your ear, who's to say people won't get pulled over all the time when they are just trying to make a call? You know if they were actually texting they are going to use that excuse anyways. You would be surprised at how fast some people can text, compared to someone scrolling through contacts to make a phone call.

As for cell phone companies making it were they lock the text feature while driving might sound like a good idea, it would work and not work. There is always a way around something like that, whether it means to jailbreak a phone or a simple app. Plus I don't want people slowing down below a certain speed so they can get a text in real quick or pulling over on the shoulder to text and pulling back on.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disagree!!! Today you have to spell it out for the dummies. I see a lot of people doing it and if stopped by the police will swear they were not distracted.

+1 We need a textbuster sign on the highway, just like we have gunbuster signs. Then people will finally listen, since signs are so effective. And we'll all ride unicorns.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are all gun users unsafe lunatics because of the actions of others? Lets not ban AR 15 because I use mine responsibly.....Lets ban texting because some use theres irresponsibly. That is what I see here from some people.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would vote for the blue tooth/hands free stuff. texting takes the eyes off the road...common sense says: your eyes are not on the road something can happen!

this a sore spot to me because some of you may have never lived with the after effect of losing someone so close, to something that is so simple to avoid while driving.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty easy to enforce. Just drive along in an unmarked car and look for drivers with their phone in their hand at the steering wheel, or looking down to long. Catching people would be like shooting fish in a barrel! In my 25 minute commute, I see more drivers texting than not texting!

How does the state prove that you committed the offense?

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are all gun users unsafe lunatics because of the actions of others? Lets not ban AR 15 because I use mine responsibly.....Lets ban texting because some use theres irresponsibly. That is what I see here from some people.

agreed, a lot of these comments sound exactly like the anti gun arguments

Latest posts

Top Bottom