The Mid-Term Election thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dennis. Let me remind you. Congress has had the purse strings for the past 4 years Obama's term. They'll have it for the next 2 as well.

Let me give you an example of Congressional power and purse strings. Nixon wanted to continue the VN War....the Democratic led majority voted to defund the entire War thus bringing an end to the War in which you were drafted.

Yes Congress allowed Obama to spend every red cent of our tax dollars for the past 6 years....and the GOP has held the power of the purse for the last 4 years.

"Congress" does not equal "House". The Senate is a part of that equation as well. As Dennis said, the Senate blocked every budget the House sent them. Let us not forget that inconvenient truth.

The question is now that the Republicans control "Congress" as a whole, what are they going to do? Obama will surely veto any budget they send him which doesn't feed his obsessive spending, but are they going to have the fortitude to override his veto?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never ever will a party claim me as one of theirs. Tea baggers are just a bunch if far right radicals carrying the R banner.

What? The tea party in the background ran this election. The belt way professional politicians ran scared of the folks that want to take away their power and put it back into the hands of the people.

Any problem with the people running the government?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The votes will never be there to defund Obamacare. It's a waste of time and resources. Only option now is to fix it up and patch it and make it work. Much like medicare.

Oh they'll get the votes. The only question is how long will it take? 1) obamacare will fail on its own even if the SCOTUS leaves it intact. 2) it's not the purpose of the federal government to provide healthcare. No way, shape, form or matter is it what the .gov should be doing.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were a few elections where the R's could have gained more senate seats, but lost votes to Independents. All in all the D's lost enough votes to lose control which is good regardless.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. If the GOP can squeak it out in VA they will likely pick up 10 seats. Doubt that they will but nobody is calling it yet so who knows. If they get AK and LA they pick up 9 seats. That's damn near running the table.

Of note is IL, MA, and MD all elected GOP governors! :faint:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were a few elections where the R's could have gained more senate seats, but lost votes to Independents. All in all the D's lost enough votes to lose control which is good regardless.

Rumor is that two independents are talking of working with the GOP. If they are senators the GOP would only need to peel off a few Dem votes to override a veto.

Wow. If the GOP can squeak it out in VA they will likely pick up 10 seats. Doubt that they will but nobody is calling it yet so who knows. If they get AK and LA they pick up 9 seats. That's damn near running the table.

Of note is IL, MA, and MD all elected GOP governors! :faint:

GOP is on track to pick up 12 seats in the House. If that happens it will be their biggest margin since WW2.

If all this comes to pass Obamacare will be repealed.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never ever will a party claim me as one of theirs. Tea baggers are just a bunch if far right radicals carrying the R banner.

Kindly change that phraseology to "Tea Party Participants" instead of "Tea Baggers." "Tea Baggers has consistently been a liberal terminology of hatred towards Americans (both Republican and Democrat) that felt that Obama and the Democratic Party leadership were promoting legislation, regulations and new taxes that the citizens didn't want.

I was one of those participants that saw the horror that was headed our way with Democratic Party leadership. So many people on the extreme left want to paint us all as extremists. Basically, they do their normal thing by calling their opposition nasty names. Calling me a "Tea Bagger" indicates you are falling into the exact same category of the extremist liberals.

The House of Representative sent something like 360 to 370 bills to the Senate that went nowhere. I wonder where Harry Reid has all of those stored? In spite of that, the extreme liberals (including Obumbo) and the press still wanted to paint the Republicans as the "do-nothing Congress" and that they also wanted to shut down the government. Well, the House passed legislation to help fund the government, but because it wasn't what Harry Reid wanted, those bills died in the Senate. Then we all saw Obummer order National Park employees (who weren't supposed to be working at that time) to actually close Park facilities that are normally open 24/7, 365 days a year, just to make it difficult for average Americans, but still blamed the Republicans.

If you don't see that as obvious, then I guess I can't expect an apology for calling me a "Tea Bagger."

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rumor is that two independents are talking of working with the GOP. If they are senators the GOP would only need to peel off a few Dem votes to override a veto.

GOP is on track to pick up 12 seats in the House. If that happens it will be their biggest margin since WW2.

If all this comes to pass Obamacare will be repealed.

If this actually happens, I'm not sure that enough Democrats will vote to override the expected Presidential veto. However, they can try and if it fails, then they can go in and start repealing specific parts of the ACA, such as the medical device taxes and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kindly change that phraseology to "Tea Party Participants" instead of "Tea Baggers." "Tea Baggers has consistently been a liberal terminology of hatred towards Americans (both Republican and Democrat) that felt that Obama and the Democratic Party leadership were promoting legislation, regulations and new taxes that the citizens didn't want.

I was one of those participants that saw the horror that was headed our way with Democratic Party leadership. So many people on the extreme left want to paint us all as extremists. Basically, they do their normal thing by calling their opposition nasty names. Calling me a "Tea Bagger" indicates you are falling into the exact same category of the extremist liberals.

The House of Representative sent something like 360 to 370 bills to the Senate that went nowhere. I wonder where Harry Reid has all of those stored? In spite of that, the extreme liberals (including Obumbo) and the press still wanted to paint the Republicans as the "do-nothing Congress" and that they also wanted to shut down the government. Well, the House passed legislation to help fund the government, but because it wasn't what Harry Reid wanted, those bills died in the Senate. Then we all saw Obummer order National Park employees (who weren't supposed to be working at that time) to actually close Park facilities that are normally open 24/7, 365 days a year, just to make it difficult for average Americans, but still blamed the Republicans.

If you don't see that as obvious, then I guess I can't expect an apology for calling me a "Tea Bagger."

Well said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom