The problem with SYG.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bingo.

The other problem, and one that I hesitate to bring up here because I'm trying to stop stirring up sh1t all the time, is race-related.

Any which way you slice it, a white dude shooting a black dude is far more likely to get off than a black dude shooting a white dude under the same circumstances.

In effect, that means that this law is enforced unevenly across the various races.

Do you have sources, citations, or numbers to back these claims?

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't think that an assumption that "black dude = criminal, white dude = good guy" is more likely then I suggest you lift the rock under which you have been living.

Last edited:

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't think that an assumption that "black dude = criminal, white dude = good guy" is more likely then I suggest you lift the rock under which you have been living.

I believe it was covered in the locked thread.

Post #87
So...
If you look at arrests by race per 100,000 of that race, then you could deduce that there is a serious problem with crime in the black community since a higher percentage of that population commits crimes.

You said

Any which way you slice it, a white dude shooting a black dude is far more likely to get off than a black dude shooting a white dude under the same circumstances.

I am assuming that you are eliminating the "higher percentage of crime" factor with your qualifier "under the same circumstances".

Now do you have numbers, citations, links, sources, or anything to back that up?

Without your qualifier "under the same circumstances", your claim looks like this:

Any which way you slice it, a white dude shooting a black dude is far more likely to get off than a black dude shooting a white dude.

For SYG to be valid, the "defender" has to be committing no crime, and the "aggressor" has to be committing a crime.

So I'd like to see data where white defenders committing no crime using SYG against black aggressors committing a crime and compare that data with black defenders committing no crime using SYG against white aggressors committing a crime, and see if the law is unevenly applied.

To simplify:
Can you show me one case where a black defender had a valid case of SYG against a white aggressor and was convicted?
Conversely:
Can you show me one case where a white defender had an invalid case of SYG against a black aggressor and was acquitted?

Last edited:

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So basically what you're doing is starting from the premise "a black dude would never have to shoot a white dude in self defense" and cloaking yourself in pseudointellectualism to not sound racist.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So basically what you're doing is starting from the premise "a black dude would never have to shoot a white dude in self defense" and cloaking yourself in pseudointellectualism to not sound racist.

You made the claim that SYG was not applied evenly across racial lines, without presenting anything to support it.
I call you on it, and now I appear racist?
I think I see your problem.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you really going to make me look for all the data on racial politics in policing and link you to it, or are you going to keep being obtuse?
I just want to see cases where where a black defender had a valid case of SYG against a white aggressor and was convicted.
Or cases where a white defender had an invalid case of SYG against a black aggressor and was acquitted.

People keep trying to tie SYG to racism. They generally try to cross that 30 foot chasm with three 10 foot leaps.
If your argument is "The whole system is racist!", then why bother singling out SYG law? That makes it appear that you have an agenda driven argument.

Latest posts

Top Bottom