The word "hero" is subjective

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's also a word that can be applied by a broad group or simply by an individual. Doing something that changes the course of a single person's life might make you a hero to them and them alone.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firefighters got it applied too much after 9/11. The ones I know are heroes of watching daytime TV and cooking. :D
Seriously?

Wow... well, in my experience, those guys who spend so much time sitting around waiting for the worst moments of the average citizens' lives to happen are the ones who are running full speed into the worst situations, too.

Like the Dallas cops who were running TOWARDS the sounds of gunfire while citizens were running away.

Yes, there are many people who have jobs that require sacrifice on a personal level... and many jobs that are dangerous and have a certain amount of danger or heavy labor involved. But individuals who serve in careers that routinely require them to risk their lives, their safety, and their mental health (which is a MUCH bigger problem than the general beer-swilling public understands or grasps) are, in my opinion, in a class apart. And many, many, many of these public servants don't do it for the glory, for the money or anything else - just because they feel called, they can't imagine themselves doing anything else.

Soldiers, cops, medics, firemen, other public-safety professions - these are a class apart, in my opinion. Ridge, I am sure this was probably just to tweak some peoples' noses, but the crap those guys deal with is in a whole other realm than 99.9% of other civilian citizens.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seriously?

Wow... well, in my experience, those guys who spend so much time sitting around waiting for the worst moments of the average citizens' lives to happen are the ones who are running full speed into the worst situations, too.

Like the Dallas cops who were running TOWARDS the sounds of gunfire while citizens were running away.

Yes, there are many people who have jobs that require sacrifice on a personal level... and many jobs that are dangerous and have a certain amount of danger or heavy labor involved. But individuals who serve in careers that routinely require them to risk their lives, their safety, and their mental health (which is a MUCH bigger problem than the general beer-swilling public understands or grasps) are, in my opinion, in a class apart. And many, many, many of these public servants don't do it for the glory, for the money or anything else - just because they feel called, they can't imagine themselves doing anything else.

Soldiers, cops, medics, firemen, other public-safety professions - these are a class apart, in my opinion. Ridge, I am sure this was probably just to tweak some peoples' noses, but the crap those guys deal with is in a whole other realm than 99.9% of other civilian citizens.

So...this begs the question, "Is Harvey Milk a hero due to his service as a US Navy Diving Officer on the submarine rescue ship
Kittiwake?"

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is the obvious definition of a "hero" as someone who without thought for himself puts himself in danger for the benefit of another. A fireman going into a burning building in order to bring out the 85 year old grandmother who can't walk.

The term "hero" is also often used more along the lines of someone you look up to for their abilities or achievements. Like a kid idolizing a sports star and saying "He's my hero."

It has become a term that is over-used and applied to individuals simply because of their occupation, and not due to their actions. I served 20 years Active Duty Military. I was never once put in a position where I had to put my safety or my life on the line for another person due to my job in the Military. I for one have not earned the title "hero" and don't like people referring to military members as heroes unless they have earned the designation with specific acts of valor.

I would like to say I agree with you, doing your duty as a citizen does not qualify you as a hero. Even dying for your country does not make you a hero. I spent 20 years in the Army and a few times I risked my life to help others, but that does not make me a hero either. I was mostly doing my job or I was not thinking about the danger, not because bravery, just not that bright, or I did not perceive an immediate risk.
I wrote a couple guys awards for valor, because they decided to run into danger when they could of just watched.
I knew a young soldier, that was out walking around one morning, after a rain. He heard a child scream from a nearby flood control canal. He ran over looked and saw a little girls being carried away by the water from the rain. He said he stopped and thought, I guess its a good time to learn how to swim and jumped into the flooded canal to save the girl. He grabbed her and they both made it out. It made me proud to know him, which is why he is a hero.

Latest posts

Top Bottom