Thoughts needed on cordless tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with Kobalt because I just needed tools to do stuff around the house so the more expensive options didn't make much sense to me. I've been very happy with them. I have their impact driver, drill, recipricating saw, 1/2" impact gun, circular saw, string trimmer, leaf blower, oscillating multi tool, and air hammer.

Everything has been great excpet the string trimmer, which sucks the battery pretty quick and bogs down pretty easily. I haven't used the oscillating tool yet. The impact driver is fantastic and the impact gun knocks the lug nuts off my Transit (150 ft lb) like butter. I used most of the tools when I helped my father in-law do a complete gut and remodel on their house and everything has held up well except the recip saw, but I've beat the hell out of it. The saw itself still works fine, but it's now a pain in the butt to switch blades since the clamp is worn out.

My next tool purchase will most likely be their cordless chainsaw. By all reviews it is a handy little saw that gets well over 100 cuts out of a 4AH battery. I'd buy everything again except for the string trimmer, nothing beats gas for that application in my opinion.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the old hammer drill — these darn old tools were expensive for a homeowner/ hobbyist - nice to be able to use them again

IMG_0739.jpeg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 to all above

Ni-Cad swore me off battery drive, until 20v Lithium proved to be worthy.

Just bought a couple of DeWalt batteries on eBay. $62 for 2 vs $229 each at Home Depot.

The battery adapters are a cool addition to keep your tools going.

Another option, if you have older models that are good, but batteries are hard / impossible to find; get them rebuilt / upgraded. Places like Batteries Plus can rebuild those old battery packs with more powerful cells. Cost may make buying new tools a better options. Pick a brand, look for sales, buy one brand and battery compatibility.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did this as well -- had a Dewalt recip saw, circular saw, hammer drill, regular drillo and 1/2" impact - all 18v - and my usage patterns are similar to the OP's. The saws and big impact dont see a lot of use but i like having them when i need them for sure

got some inexpensive adapters to take the modern 20v batteries and all is good now -- at least for the saws and impact. It adds some length to the overall package - and at least with the adapters i got from Amazon (not Dewalt brand) - they dont want to come out without a fight so i got enough for all these tools , rather than leaving them with the batteries

My mother gifted me a modern drill/impact combo for Christmas and i doubt i would ever go back to using the larger, heavier 18v tools for this application --- the new stuff is just too handy and i use the small impact more than anything else
I've had the same experience with the knockoff adapters, and did the same, dedicated adapter for each of the 18v tools. I actually have the newer Dewalt 12v drill/driver/impact. They are my goto shop tools, light and powerful.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

My only remaining question was how to charge the Li-ion stuff? Even the chargers that come in a kit with the Li-ion batteries say they're for charging NiCad and NiMH with no mention of Li-ion. I guess I buy and if it doesn't work I can always return them.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I preserved some of my 18v Dewalt investment by getting an adapter that allows me to use 20v Li-on batteries. The tools work great, and the batteries are far better than the 18v.

In your case I would likely buy a battery to test before you jump all the way in.

I wished I had known. I changed out when 20Vs came out, as I was needing several batteries.

I gave or trashed all my 18Vs.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With lithium ion batteries and storage, it's optimal to run them down to under 40% charge then recharge them to about 60% and store then store them like that. Don't try to charge one that at freezing or below, it'll damage it. Same goes for LifeP04 batts which I don't think are used in portable tools yet.

OP you will probably need a new charger for the lithium batteries, but I'd swap them to your tools too vs. buying all new tools. Lithium batteries are a huge step up in all ways from NICad and NIMH batteries.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, Harbor Freight is having a sale. Buy the battery, get the tool free.
Batteries are the cash cow for cordless tools. I went the other way.
Have lots of Dewalt 20V batteries, so bought a Harbor Freight mini blower for the RV that produces 200 mph air, and an adapter from Amazon that allows use of the 20V Dewalt batteries. (it works great!)
Most Lithium batteries are good for almost 1000 charges they claim, so at this stage of the game, I'll probably never need to buy anymore batteries. If I do it will be the knock-offs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom