Thunderbird Run 'n Gun, July 13, 2013 -- do you have what it takes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cableguy221

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, you can! Might be worth looking at the OK SDA reference, just to make sure you're up on the differences between TX and OK. There's a link in the concealed carry forum, or google OK OSBI and find the PDF under the handgun licensing links.

Holy crap, that was a lot harder than I was expecting, but it was a blast. Thanks to everyone who set it up, sorry i had to jet early, but i had a lot of fun, and I'll be out next year again for sure!

Some things i learned:
1) I need to go to appleseed, I sucked it up on the last two stages.

2) strap your mags in. I lost a mag at each of the barbwire crawls and lost about 10 minutes off my run time going back for them. Thanks Hensch for saving the first one for me!

3) lose more weight! Thankfully my prayers were answered and i had a nice long wait at each stage, but I would've died if I hadn't

4) don't buy crappy Walmart camelbacks unless you want a rifle full of water from the leaky valve

I only have one suggestion for next time: no green flags! Especially in trees. I got lost several times because I couldn't see the flags in the trees, unless that was meant as part of the challenge (i know I'd have a hard time spotting an enemy in Camo). Also, I'm i think I'm slightly color blind, and had a hard time differentiating between the pink and orange flags, especially since they crossed each other. Just something to think about.

Thanks again for all the hard work that went into this!
I agree with this. I had a great time running, but the crossing paths were a little confusing at times.

Awesome job on the whole though with the course. It has gone quite well so far from what I've seen.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A big Thanks! to the RO's, scorers and staff today. Met great people, had a blast and look forward to the next Run N Gun.
I donated a bit of blood to the vines and tangles along the trail, but am still glad I chose the minimalist approach to clothing and gear. Too damn hot for long pants, belts and slings. The Mayflower chest rig was a perfect match for the event.
i1101.photobucket.com_albums_g428_UnSafe62_null_zps9882013f.jpg

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was awesome! Still wheezing. Thanks to everyone. Mostly for at least not laughing in front of me. I feel good enough about my shooting to justify some gear purchases. :)

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know if the scores will be posted anywhere?

Daniel said he'd put them up on line at some point.

Two words for that event: Gut. Check. Anyone that fancies themselves any kind of gunfighter needs to give it a whirl and see how things shake out.

Lots of takeaways for me:

1) My gear shook out ok, I'm not 100% happy with a holster on my chest rig...but I hate having my waist encumbered too. Hmmm.
2) My a$$ needs to run more, with gear.
3) If you are doing something that works, don't change it. I used the BUIS on my 14.5" Noveske at the 400 yard range...it took me a few shots to dial in but then I got my three hits within the time limit. Moved to 300, got my hits quick. Crossed the berm to the next stage and, as planned, transitioned to my Aimpoint because my "data" told me I could pull it off for everything under 300. I burned a lot of ammo at that first point after the 300 yard berm. Finally settled in at the other two and finished in time.
4) Run more, again.

What a blast. The event was incredibly well run, especially since it's the first time Daniel and his crew pulled one of these off here.

ScoutSquid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! Even though I didn't finish (still quite embarrassed about that), I learned a lot today. Thanks so much to all of those responsible for putting this on, and I hope this event repeats several times a year. My wife informed me that I will be getting her an AR for Christmas so she can do the next one.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a great time and enjoyed meeting some new people and seeing some old friends! Thanks for all the hard work to Al and Daniel and all the RO staff. Great event and I look forward to doing it again.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a great time at the event. It truly was a gut check and told me that I have a lot of stuff I need to practice. My favorite part was meeting all the other OSA members and putting a face to a name. Can't wait to do it again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom