Tinnitus poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you suffer from Tinnitus?

• Yes I have it 24/7.

Votes: 149 67.7%
  • My ears ring occasionally.

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • Nope. Silence is golden.

Votes: 28 12.7%

• Total voters

ssx2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time it goes away is when I hit the first stage of REM, only to come back as I awake. I damaged my ears so bad I couldn't walk a straight line for a day or two afterwards. My hearing from 6200K to 7k is gone.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately I too fall into the 24/7/365 category....

I've suffered from it to some extent for the last 22 years or so.
Sometimes it either gets overwhelmingly loud or changes to a more annoying pitch....and I firmly believe it could quite literally drive some people mad!
Thankfully it does not reach that point very often....at least not for now.

Dealing with it for so many years you just learn to ignore it to some degree which is helpful considering I also suffer from severe insomnia.
It helps to have some background noise running when I attempt to sleep.
You know....Radio, TV, fan, etc.....otherwise the ringing will simply frustrate me back awake in the event I do nod out.

As with most people who contend with Tinnitus I also suffer from hearing loss.....and mine is actually quite severe.
My most recent test (3-4 years ago) indicated that I had 85% loss in my left side!
I actually cannot remember the exact results of the right side but IIRC it was somewhere around 15% loss.....definitely not as bad as the other.

Of course I'm simply biding my time 'til I find an opportunity to jump on board a class action lawsuit train against COLT Firearms or Laney and Marshall Amplification...
:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately I too fall into the 24/7/365 category....

I've suffered from it to some extent for the last 22 years or so.
Sometimes it either gets overwhelmingly loud or changes to a more annoying pitch....and I firmly believe it could quite literally drive some people mad!
Thankfully it does not reach that point very often....at least not for now.

Dealing with it for so many years you just learn to ignore it to some degree which is helpful considering I also suffer from severe insomnia.
It helps to have some background noise running when I attempt to sleep.
You know....Radio, TV, fan, etc.....otherwise the ringing will simply frustrate me back awake in the event I do nod out.

As with most people who contend with Tinnitus I also suffer from hearing loss.....and mine is actually quite severe.
My most recent test (3-4 years ago) indicated that I had 85% loss in my left side!
I actually cannot remember the exact results of the right side but IIRC it was somewhere around 15% loss.....definitely not as bad as the other.

Of course I'm simply biding my time 'til I find an opportunity to jump on board a class action lawsuit train against COLT Firearms or Laney and Marshall Amplification...
:D

JP, get some hearing aids. They tend to cancel the Tennitus, if programmed right.
Do NOT GO TO the strip mall hearing aid centers. They are pay for play centers only.
Go to a hospital associated hearing clinic. they can test your hearing, and program the aids to get you back to normal as possible. Its never possible to get back natural hearing like your had when a kid. There are some out there that a person standing next to you cannot see.
Its time to recognise you need them, and give up the vanity. Your family, and friends will appreciate it.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its time to recognise you need them, and give up the vanity. Your family, and friends will appreciate it.

Oh, I'd have no problem at all using them if/when I decide it's time, and I personally do not feel as if it's been enough of a hassle for anyone else yet.....I'm confident they'd have absolutely no reservations about telling me either. :)

I am interested in researching their usefulness in a live music situation vs. in-ear monitors (which I've also never used)

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have it all the time, but you get used to it, and it doesn't really bother me that much. But it is an irritant!
my dad worked at Dayton tire for 33 years. He also had a terrible ear infection when he was young ( while working there). He has the ringing 24/7/365. He is on edge all the time because of it. He has gotten very depressed over it. I hope he never kills himself over it but I can only imagine how bad it would be. I know William Shatner has it and said he almost killed himself over it. And one of my old teachers whom I am good friends with has it and also has thought about shooting himself. I wish something would fix it but so far he hasn't found anything that works. Have any of you guys found anything?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine has gotten worse over the years ... it was getting to where I was having trouble concentrating on serious stuff ... I know this is gonna sound hokey but meditation has helped a lot. It takes a LOT of effort to earn how to quiet your mind -- at least it did for me and I'll admit I'm still a work in progress ...The noise in my ears doesn't go away, I've just learned how to ignore it better. Kinda like tuning out screaming kids ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom