Tinnitus poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you suffer from Tinnitus?

• Yes I have it 24/7.

Votes: 149 67.7%
  • My ears ring occasionally.

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • Nope. Silence is golden.

Votes: 28 12.7%

• Total voters

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose if I think about it, I can hear some sort of ringing all the time. I don't even notice or think about it the vast majority of the time. I sometimes have trouble hearing people, but I think most of that is due to the way a lot of people nowadays talk like they have mush in their mouth. I have definitely lost some hearing, but it isn't enough to cause me any real trouble.

I have definitely done my share of shooting with no ear pro. In my first several years of gun ownership as a teenager, I didn't even own any real ear plugs -- I just used rolled up pieces of kleenex or napkins, if I used anything at all. I always try to use earplugs now, unless I'm hunting. A deer rifle has never really made my ears ring. I have however made the mistake of using an 18" barreled .308 with a compensator on a hog hunt.
:yikes2:

This is my situation to a T. Constant ringing but I usually don't think about or notice it. I shot with no hearing protection in my youth also.
I think the worst damage was done while at a range with a group of guys. We were still spreading our stuff out on a covered bench when the A-hole three feet to my left decided to empty the mag on his HK 91. It felt like something pounding on my eardrum and I couldn't hear anything out of my left ear for a couple of days.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose if I think about it, I can hear some sort of ringing all the time. I don't even notice or think about it the vast majority of the time. I sometimes have trouble hearing people, but I think most of that is due to the way a lot of people nowadays talk like they have mush in their mouth. I have definitely lost some hearing, but it isn't enough to cause me any real trouble.

I have definitely done my share of shooting with no ear pro. In my first several years of gun ownership as a teenager, I didn't even own any real ear plugs -- I just used rolled up pieces of kleenex or napkins, if I used anything at all. I always try to use earplugs now, unless I'm hunting. A deer rifle has never really made my ears ring. I have however made the mistake of using an 18" barreled .308 with a compensator on a hog hunt.
:yikes2:

This is my situation to a T. Constant ringing but I usually don't think about or notice it. I shot with no hearing protection in my youth also.
I think the worst damage was done while at a range with a group of guys. We were still spreading our stuff out on a covered bench when the A-hole three feet to my left decided to empty the mag on his HK 91. It felt like something pounding on my eardrum and I couldn't hear anything out of my left ear for a couple of days.

Guys that's called hearing loss. It's cumulative and it's permanent.

After the ringing goes away our hearing seems like it's returned to normal. But not all of it does return and it's gone forever. I used to think the same...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys that's called hearing loss. It's cumulative and it's permanent.

After the ringing goes away our hearing seems like it's returned to normal. But not all of it does return and it's gone forever. I used to think the same...

Every loud explosion, gunfire or worse, contributes to killing the nerves in the ear that detect noise, and transmit signals to the brain. There is no medical way to repair those nerves.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got it in my early 20's as a result of some medication I was taking. Don't remember what the meds were now but it stuck around. I have it in both ears, but it's really loud in the right ear. It's strange because while there are a lot of frequencies I can't hear, there are certain high pitched noises that others can't hear that will almost drive me crazy. If I go to my moms, she has one burner on her stove that I can instantly tell if she lights it, because it emits a high pitched squeal. Nobody else can hear it, but to me it's almost deafening.

I'm sure it's not just me it drives crazy, because people have to repeat themselves a lot to me, especially if they aren't facing me. Some people I can hear perfectly, while others I can't hardly hear at all.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done some dumb things, but not protecting my ears when I was young was one of the dumbest. I use plugs now around anything loud trying to save what little I have left.

Latest posts

Top Bottom