Today is also "Hug A Vegetarian Day."

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No kidding - my wife's vegan. I have no problem with it at all, so long as it doesn't become a religion where people try to force those views on others. I still eat meat, however, but in smaller portions.

We do - that's why we lead the world in heart disease.....

Inuits ate lots of meat and fat; but are very lean, no heart disease to speak of....or at least were until they started the White man diet.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Inuits ate lots of meat and fat; but are very lean, no heart disease to speak of....or at least were until they started the White man diet.

That's true, but bear in mind - the typical "meat eater" diet in modern day America consists of greasy fast food meat, and red meat that's been shot full of hormones and antibiotics. The Inuit's diet is quite pure compared to what passes for food in the modern day lower 48, and only part of their meat consumption is/was the typical sort of red meat we consume, so it's hard to compare that diet with the common "steak eater" here.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's true, but bear in mind - the typical "meat eater" diet in modern day America consists of greasy fast food meat, and red meat that's been shot full of hormones and antibiotics. The Inuit's diet is quite pure compared to what passes for food in the modern day lower 48, and only part of their meat consumption is/was the typical sort of red meat we consume, so it's hard to compare that diet with the common "steak eater" here.

Wait a minute, I thought all our cancer and heart disease can be traced to eating red meat?

And here I was thinking it was that simple.

Small sample group studies aside, I'd wager a bet "your average meat eater" prolly has a few more strikes against him on the disease checklist. Ranging from his lifestyle (inactivity) and his other dietary factors, to environmental ones. Take away his steak, his fat ass still ain't running no marathon.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait a minute, I thought all our cancer and heart disease can be traced to eating red meat?

And here I was thinking it was that simple.

Small sample group studies aside, I'd wager a bet "your average meat eater" prolly has a few more strikes against him on the disease checklist. Ranging from his lifestyle (inactivity) and his other dietary factors, to environmental ones. Take away his steak, his fat ass still ain't running no marathon.

No argument there - and I never said "all of our cancer and heart disease" was red meat related....sugar/sweeteners more than red meat, though it's hard to dismiss red meat as a factor in a lot of cases. We as a society eat way too much meat in comparison to veggies and fiber. A good balance of both is best.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vegetarian- Old Indian word for "poor hunter"

I KEED! I KEED!

My gf is like TheAmberLynn, she is vegetarian-ish. Tries to stay away from most meats, but the evils of bacon are too much for her. She stays pretty healthy for the most part.

I'm full on meat eater. My ancestors didn't claw their way to the top of the food chain for me to eat leaves. oddly enough i stay extremely healthy. i attribute it to the backwards nature of the Irish-rooted metabolism: The more smoking, drinking, eating, fighting and screwing, the healthier we are and younger we look.

Latest posts

Top Bottom