Tornado/storm damage areas: Oklahoma AG enacts price gouging law for 12 counties

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
does this act apply only to goods and services NEEDED by disaster victims ,, or ALL goods and services??? i have been saving my pennies to buy a new Corvette and now may be the time ,,so i dont have to pay the $50,000 fair markup value add on...

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way to interfere with the free market. I despise these types of laws.

Within hours of the 911 bombing,,,
All of the gas stations around my home raised their prices.

From under a buck per gallon,,,
To over 4 bucks per gallon.

Is this your example of a "free market"?

Aarond

If people are willing to pay the price of the product, the answer is 'Yes', that's my idea of free market. If you don't want to pay the asking price for a product then don't. That keeps you happy and it gives someone else the opportunity to purchase that product.

Is having the government control over pricing your idea of a free market?

Why is it so many are always screaming about getting government out of their lives but think price controls are OK? You're either for limited government or you're not.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It didn't work out so well for Git-N-Go when they did that after 9-11. That's how Kum & Go ultimately acquired their bankruptcy assets. Don't piss off Okies, we don't forget.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It didn't work out so well for Git-N-Go when they did that after 9-11. That's how Kum & Go ultimately acquired their bankruptcy assets. Don't piss off Okies, we don't forget.

Every story I can find re: the Git-n-Go bankruptcy says the bankruptcy was due to the parent company losing a major, grocery-buying customer, United Supermarkets, in Jan 2004.

Troubles began for Hale-Halsell in January when Lubbock, Texas-based United Supermarkets stopped buying groceries from the company. Hale-Halsell has subsequently laid off more than 300 of its warehouse workers.
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/new...-files-bankruptcy-in-tulsa-court/61997237007/

Either way, the market will decide the price if left alone. You can't have it both ways. You can't say you want a free market and limited government out of one side of your mouth while praising government interference with the market out of the other side.

Government has no business setting prices in a free market. Otherwise that market isn't free. And we have WAY too much government intrusion as it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom