Trigger Job on S&W M&P, is it worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I have a couple of Smith and Wesson M&Ps. One is the OL's and is a 9 and the other is a .380. I like both guns and she loves her 9. We both are not real crazy about the triggers, but I have been seeing where there are a couple of manufacturers of after market triggers for both which shorten the pull, and even seen a kit that lightens the pull a good bit.

My .380, since it is a pocket pistol, I don't want to lighten it much, but shortening the pull would be really nice. I like how I can slip it in my pocket and even on the first day of carrying it, rarely noticed it was there. I know it adds money to an inexpensive firearm, but are the trigger jobs worth it?

And I know, bring on the debates!

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've installed an Apex kit in my full size, and compact. I will be putting one in the shield as well. As far as the bodyguard, I don't know that I will do anything to it. I

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a couple of the M&P Pros that come with a factory lighter trigger.
Both were gritty at first, but both smoothed out a little over 4# and are quite smooth. Much of the gritty feeling seemed to be the striker block, which can be polished to speed things up.
Being an old revolver shooter, I don't mind the long trigger pull, which is a large part of the safety of the M&P trigger. Travel is about .3 inch, which is less than a double action revolver.

One of my fellow IDPA shooters admired my M&P Pro and eventually bought one, which he cannot shoot for sour spit. Why? He is used to a crisp 4# single-action trigger on his IDPA/ESP pistol, so he operates the M&P trigger all wrong, pulling partway through the long pull and then yanking it at the last.

So, why not install the complete FSS APEX kit in the M&P and make the trigger nearly like a light single-action trigger? For one, replacing the visible trigger is prohibited in IDPA/SSP and USPSA/Production, so you're bumped up to ESP and Limited competing with the STIs.
Second, if you carry it, you have a short, light, trigger designed specifically for range use only, that has no manual safety. Not for me.

A frequently seen compromise is the APEX Duty/Carry kits, which keep the stock trigger and changes some internal parts. Trigger travel is reduced, but the trigger is still safe to carry.
You pays your money and you makes your choices.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are fortunate to have one of the best M&P smiths right here in Oklahoma and on this board. Hit up Olyeller and see if he's taking this work as he gets too busy on other work at times. There is no drop in kit that will match his trigger job. Failing that Apex is the way to go.